• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New song featuring LASS solo Cello and Emotional Piano

Share/Bookmark

New song featuring LASS solo Cello and Emotional Piano

After all of the discussion about the tuning of LASS, I decided to put together a piece which showed off the solo cello, and to work with the samples to get as real a sound as I could. I figure this should help redeem me with Andrew K for all the times I brought up some of the negatives about LASS

Here it is, I hope you enjoy, and please let me know what I could do to make it better (I really am more of a rock and roll kind of guy, so if there is something that doesn't sound right, please please speak up so I can make it better!)

http://podcastthemes.com/audio/markb...ty%20Rooms.mp3

Re: New song featuring LASS solo Cello and Emotional Piano

Quote Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
    After all of the discussion about the tuning of LASS, I decided to put together a piece which showed off the solo cello, and to work with the samples to get as real a sound as I could. I figure this should help redeem me with Andrew K for all the times I brought up some of the negatives about LASS

Here it is, I hope you enjoy, and please let me know what I could do to make it better (I really am more of a rock and roll kind of guy, so if there is something that doesn't sound right, please please speak up so I can make it better!)

http://podcastthemes.com/audio/markb...ty%20Rooms.mp3
    Hey Mark...

This is beautiful!!! Great composition and use of the LASS Cello!!!

I just came back from being out of town and this was a great thing to come home to!!

Thanks for posting this... and you're a talented composer!

How would you feel about having this used as a LASS demo?

Email me at our audiobro "info" email to let me know.

Great work!!

Cheers,

Andrew K

P.S.... and no redemption needed...

And after listening... the only part I wold suggest improving on is the ending with the ostinato. I think there are ways to improve on that using AMG and CC83 all the way up and alternating between clean legato and fast ports.. also even not playing legato too.

I'll have to try some of those things. I haven't yet explored the speed patches, since I'm not really familiar enough with string writing and performance to have noticed a need for anything other than the standard LPG patches, but it makes sense that adding in a very fast portamento would help to change things slightly and make it more realistic. I also haven't tried the AMG settings before, but I'll explore that the next time I am in the studio.

Very nice piece.
    While I really dig the sound of the Piano I am not so sure about the Cello.
    IMHO it sounds a bit too far away compared to the Piano. May be that's because it is a First Chair and not a Solo instrument?
    rothermusic.de

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    Very nice piece.
    While I really dig the sound of the Piano I am not so sure about the Cello.
    IMHO it sounds a bit too far away compared to the Piano. May be that's because it is a First Chair and not a Solo instrument?
    Yeah... all that can be changed... the cello is fairly upfront and dry out-of-the-box.... so the reverb was an artistic choice by Mark.... I'm assuming.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Quote Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
    Yeah... all that can be changed... the cello is fairly upfront and dry out-of-the-box.... so the reverb was an artistic choice by Mark.... I'm assuming.

Cheers,

Andrew K
    Thanks, Andrew, good to know!
    rothermusic.de

I'm working on editing the piece right now, adding in the fast portamento's in the end section. I'm also going to put up a version with a studio reverb, rather than a hall, and a version with no reverb at all, so you can hear what the cello sounds like straight out of the box.

Here is a version with a studio room reverb:

http://www.podcastthemes.com/audio/m...StudioVerb.mp3

And here is what will most likely be the final version, which has the original reverb:

http://www.podcastthemes.com/audio/m...ms20100808.mp3

Very good piece!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

That was a really beautiful piece and has got me excited about LASS! Thanks for sharing. Also was the piano a real one? I hope so otherwise I'll faint

Go Back to forum