• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Meditation From Thais ALL GARRITAN SOUNDS :)

Meditation From Thais ALL GARRITAN SOUNDS :)

Hi everyone,
    I have not posted any music for a long time and just finished my recording of this beautiful piece of music written by Jules Massenet entitled "Meditation from Thais".

I wanted to have my friend Jack Cannon create a midi file of all the parts from a score so
    we could collaborate, and share the fun. Ironically the score only had the solo violin and the harp.

So, Jack created a midi file of the harp and violin in Finale and sent it to me, then I went to work. Thanks Jack!!!!!!!!!!!! I then picked out the rest of the parts with my old ears. The most fun was putting my heart and soul into that solo violin.... what a tremendous instrument!

In this recording, I use the following instruments...

(1) Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin

1st violin GOS (Garritan Orchestral Strings)
    2nd violin GOS
    viola GOS
    celli GOS
    basses GOS

(1) flute GPO
    (1) clarinet GPO
    (1) Bassoon GPO
    (2) french horns GPO
    (1) harp GPO
    (1) timpani GPO

Altiverb is Mechanics Hall Worcester MA USA.
    Created using Digital Performer 7.2 on a Mac of course

MP3 7.5 Mb. @192 kbps.

WAVE 57 Mb.

Re: Meditation From Thais ALL GARRITAN SOUNDS :)

As ever with you, Dan, a technically stunning... and also
    very deeply beautiful performance. The musicality of this
    is extraordinary.

Bravo, my friend -- but I say it quietly not to break the
    moment, as I listen still once again...

With admiration,

David Sosnowski

David, your words ALWAYS go so deep into my being,
    I sit here just before going to bed without words to describe my appreciation for you being here.

Thank you David!

I am actually in tears as I write this. This is just so extraordinary I cannot begin to express how moving this was. Your interpretation for the solo violin was simply jaw dropping. (And technically spot-on!) There is NEVER a moment while listening to this when I was distracted by some tell-tale indication to make me realize this was the product of sample libraries. (Something which usually happens even in the best of renders at least once). This is about as perfect a performance and render as I have ever heard. You've topped yourself. And with the amount of AMAZING work you've done here and elsewhere, that is saying a LOT.

Thank you for sharing this little piece of your soul.
    Your friend,
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

I wrote it before, but I'll write it again: you've got some very good ears. Wonderful performance, even more so knowing you didn't have the complete score. Not only did you give each voice a great expression, the timing is also well done. This is bringing the art of MIDI performances to a higher level, something not easily accomplished with an introvert piece. Wonderful.

You have outdone yourself - and I didn't think you could get any better! In your hands these libraries are true instruments, and not a collection of sounds. In short, you make music with them. And that's the point, right?

Bravo, bravo.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

I know how much you love the Garritan Stradivarius violin and I am so glad it delights you so. You're a great friend! Thanks Jerry.

your compliment is well received and very humbly accepted,... thank you.

thank you very much for your post... I think many times we don't take the time it takes to polish the little things.
    I really wanted the violin to sing in this piece. Since I have spent so much of my life recording real artists, one thing is for sure, especially with non fretted instruments like strings, and that is, I rarely hear an entire phrase where there was not some tiny discrepancy with regard to pitch accuracy. Is this perfect pitch performance what we really want? NO. Certainly, this has to do with the talent and experience of the artist. In this recording, I purposely altered the pitch-bend far enough to make some of the notes' onset not quit so perfectly tuned for more life-like realism. Boy it made a difference. I remember Tom Hopkins mentioning how much better a mock-up sounded before GPO's samples were tuned to perfection at the request of the beta testers. Andrew K. from LASS speaks specifically about imperfect tuning from note to note and how that adds to the human-like realism. I respect that. There are still some things I would like to change in this recording, but I think I will leave it alone.

If I may continue to ramble a bit...

Here in St. Louis, we have a radio station called KFUO Classic 99.1 FM. They have always played nothing but classical music. The station had tons of power so there was never even the slightest hint of static or ticks as you drove from one end of town to the other. About two months ago, I was on my way to my parents listening to KFUO. This piece was playing but I could not place what it was. I had heard it before many times, but not in a LONG time. The emotion in the piece was so elegant that I pulled off the road and listened with the engine off and eyes closed. As the piece ended, I was teary-eyed like Jerry, but didn't know why. To finish off my experience sitting in the car, I hear the on air announcer say that in about a month we will be off the air after 62 years. My heart sunk. I never listen to radio because of the massive compression (volume wars) and typical luke warm reception, but KFUO was different,,, very different. When they played a piece they NEVER talked over it. They would announce it, wait a few seconds, and then started playing it. Once the piece commenced, again they waited at least a few seconds before talking. Elegant!!!

When I got to my parents, I called the station and of course, the on air announcer answered....
    "Classic 99, may I help you?"

I asked what the name of the piece was and he told me, he also said the recording he had just played was no longer in print but went on to give me the information on it. Of course I never found it.

I miss KFUO Classic 99.

WOW, I am so amazed at how this turned out and what is really stunning
    about the whole performance is that it is all Garritan. A rendering like
    this is a definite motivator to work as hard as one can to try to emulate
    your genius in working with music samples. Just gorgeous all the way

The sounds you have crafted are not only "believeably live," they are
    also in concert with the emotion and interpretation that you have woven
    throughout this masterpiece.

You have provided an extraordinary listening experience for all, Dan; and,
    at the same time, instilled an intense desire in many of our composers to
    excel with their Garritan libraries. Musical experiences like your "Meditation"
    are rare, as is your talent for creating them.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

You're pulling the wool over our ears here...this is a live recording....right?

This recording is so sublime, that real players better start worrying, and for good reason.

Like Jerry, tears were welling up in my eyes. And just like these tears hitting my open palm, I had no where to run but inward. This rendition of Meditation from Thais moved me to my very inner core.

I knew Dan that you were phenomenal on piano rendering, producing results that equaled or excelled the creme de la creme recording artists of today, but the emotional impact you have injected into this violin also rivals the virtuosity of Joshua Bell or Sarah Chang in the same way.

Gosh I wish I had your talent!!

With incredible respect,

Southern Ontario, Canada

Now you've gone and done it! Finally, I am at a loss for words! It is beauty beyond words that you have crafted here, beautiful, lovely, and it I may, so very affirmative of the medium!

sd cisco

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast