• Register
  • Help

Topic: Meditation from Thais

Meditation from Thais

Hi everyone,
    I have not posted any music for a long time and just finished a recording of this beautiful piece of music written by Jules Massenet entitled "Meditation from Thais".

I wanted to have my friend Jack Cannon create a midi file of all the parts from a score so
    we could collaborate, and share the fun. Ironically the score only had the solo violin and the harp.

So, Jack created a midi file of the harp and violin in Finale and sent it to me, then I went to work. Thanks Jack!!!!!!!!!!!! I then picked out the rest of the parts by my old ears. The most fun was putting my heart and soul into that solo violin.... what a tremendous instrument!

In this recording, I use the following instruments...

(1) Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin

1st violin GOS
    2nd violin GOS
    viola GOS
    celli GOS
    basses GOS

(1) flute GPO
    (1) clarinet GPO
    (1) Bassoon GPO
    (2) french horns GPO
    (1) harp GPO
    (1) timpani GPO

Altiverb is Mechanics Hall Worcester MA USA.
    Created using Digital Performer 7.2 on a Mac of course

MP3 7.5 MB. @192 kbps.

WAVE 55 MB.

Re: Meditation from Thais

Awesome Dan - as always. You always get the most out of GPO. Good to hear from you again.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

thank you Keith

For anyone who is interested...
    here is a video of Meditation from Thais showing the Conductor "tempo" track and the Strad midi track.
    The solid purple color is the tempo track. Digital Performer refers to this as the "conductor track".
    That data is the tempo changes that I put in with the pencil tool.

Below the conductor track is the red Stradivarius Solo Violin midi track.

The purple continuously changing data in the midi track is expression (CC11)
    The orange continuously changing data in the midi track is vibrato depth (CC1) modwheel
    The light blue continuously changing data in the midi track is vibrato speed (after-touch)
    The dark blue continuously changing data in the midi track is pitch bend

Of course most of the portamenti is determined by the value of the velocity of each "target" or overlapped note in any given legato-played phrase.

QUICKTIME scroll down to see the play controls.
    http://www.dankury.com/tutorials/Med...from_Thais.mov 52 Mb.

http://www.dankury.com/tutorials/Med...from_Thais.wmv 23 Mb.

Go Back to forum