• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: To Post and Image or Not to Post Question

Share/Bookmark

To Post and Image or Not to Post Question

I have yet to figure out how to post an image. I have read NorthernSounds FAQ on posting images and nothing seems to work.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
    I can quote and I can insert a url for listening to a piece of music but posting a picture does not happen. I cannot find where the "Attachment Icon" is when writing a post Nor can I copy a UL into the post (it just disappears from my screen).

Are there permissions that I don't have to do this? Or am I just totally missing the concept of adding a picture?
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: To Post and Image or Not to Post Question

Rich, are you trying to post just a picture,
    or do you want to post a picture as a link to your music?

~Yudit~

I am just trying to post a picture. I see the thread "Delete This" and all the clever pictures and am unable to do that myself, even though I read the FAQ on posting an image. Either I don't understand the FAQ or there is something wrong with the FAQ.

Thanks for the quick post Yudit. I appreciate this.

Rich

I posted this image two different ways: the first is by clicking on the "insert image" button which is just above the message window.

the second was to actually physically write out [ i m g ] then insert the link, then [ / i m g ] (I added spaces there because I suspect it would act as a link if I didn't)

Smile Re: To Post and Image or Not to Post Question

testing testing testing

Rich, I ran this test to see about linking from Box, because I'm not sure I've ever done that before--if so, it was a long time ago.

But this is linked directly to Box, so it does work. When you have the image uploaded there, I think you know the 3rd "Task" option on the right is a pop-up menu with quite a few choices. You click "Link to this item" and then you are given two final options - web address or direct link. If you look at the latter choice, you'll see the file extension is on it, .jpg. That's the URL you can use for direct linking like I did above.

Usually, the images you see on threads like "Delete This" are from Google Images and similar image search sites, as was mentioned on this thread. We right click a picture and use the "copy image location" option--That gets us the URL to use for posting.

Another option, the one I often use, is to have images uploaded to a traditional website server directory. I use Tripod. I upload to my own library there and use that URL. This is a good practice because it's using bandwidth I pay for rather than using someone else's bandwidth by "hotlinking" to pictures posted on websites.

Then, as Michel explained you use the 4th icon from the right, directly above this post message box to get the image in the post. Paste from your clipboard the URL that you've gotten from any of the above methods.

Enough info?

NOTE: The image is courtesy of Larry Alexander who sent it to me in an email. I right clicked to save it on my desktop, then uploaded it to Box for this test. THANKS, Larry!---but, um,---I'm wondering why that particular picture was sent to me! HMMmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Randy

Rich, first you have to upload your picture to some web site.
    I uploaded these to photobucket.

Then copy there the direct link to your picture.

Then open here the message window for posting
    and click on the picture icon:

And then enter the direct link URL here:

And you should have your picture finally here!

~Yudit~

I see all that and I have tried all suggestions to no avail. Now, I have gone on to my box.net account and found that I can do the direct link only in I have an upgraded account (translated $10 per month to have the privilege to direct link photos). If I were making any kind of money at this, I would probably get the account, but being a retired public school teacher and not selling much of my music that I write, (sigh), I guess the this ability of sharing pics will not be in my near future.

Hey, thanks for all the help!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I see all that and I have tried all suggestions to no avail. Now, I have gone on to my box.net account and found that I can do the direct link only in I have an upgraded account (translated $10 per month to have the privilege to direct link photos). If I were making any kind of money at this, I would probably get the account, but being a retired public school teacher and not selling much of my music that I write, (sigh), I guess the this ability of sharing pics will not be in my near future.

Hey, thanks for all the help!
    Ah--You know, as I was posting earlier, it occurred to me that direct linking may be something only available with paid Box accounts. That's the way most sites are now. Sorry, I was hoping it could be done with the free Box account.

In case this is more feasible, my Box account is $5 a month. It's invaluable to me for storing and sharing MP3s, collaborating with anyone I want (they get direct access to folders for editing)--It's a very good deal, and wanted you to know there is the $5 option.

Photobucket - That's not a paid service is it, Yudit?

MEANWHILE---Rich, most of the pictures you see on "Delete This" are being linked directly from Google and Yahoo images. Try that!

EDIT: Rich, be sure to see my new reply to you on the "Delete" thread - I posted info on Photobucket which Is totally free.

Randy B.

Photobucket is FREE and so are many others.

Go Back to forum