• Register
  • Help

Topic: Timpani Roll Tutorial and the Method at Work

Share/Bookmark

Timpani Roll Tutorial and the Method at Work

Back in December, I posted a tutorial on a method I had developed for creating realistic-sounding timpani rolls. Since it's been awhile I wanted to post again on this subject for those of you who haven't seen my first post, and may find my tutorial of some use.

My method is intended primarily for those of you who find it difficult or impossible to create good timpani rolls through real-time keyboarding. However, even if you are able to do it (or if you have looped roll samples in your virtual arsenal), I invite you to check out what I have to offer. Perhaps there are a few aspects that could help you improve on the techniques you are already using.

To see my tutorial, please visit:

http://levo.com/sounds/timpani/

But wait, there's more. I recently completed an electronic performance of a symphony-in-progress that I've started working on again thanks to the quality of the GPO sound library. This is the first time that I was able to really put my timpani roll method to the test. If you'd like to hear how these rolls sound in actual use with an orchestral composition, I invite you to visit my Virtual Concert Hall and have a listen for yourself:

http://levo.com/vch/

Thanks, and happy rolling!

Steve Johnson

Re: Timpani Roll Tutorial and the Method at Work

Steve,

THANKS! Thanks so much! I have tried several times to get even a "semi-realistic" timpani roll with NO success. Your method sounds good and provides a systematic way of achieving them. THANKS!!!!

Mark McDowell
    Mark McDowell
    Intel i7-920, 12GB, Dual 640GB SATA
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Re: Timpani Roll Tutorial and the Method at Work

Quote Originally Posted by mcdoma2000 View Post
    Steve,

THANKS! Thanks so much! I have tried several times to get even a "semi-realistic" timpani roll with NO success. Your method sounds good and provides a systematic way of achieving them. THANKS!!!!

Mark McDowell
    Hi, Mark!

You're very welcome. One of the things I enjoy about this forum is the opportunity for musicians to help each other get the most out of the tools at our displosal. I'm glad I can make some small contribution to this process.

Thanks for your enthusiastic feedback, and I hope that my timpani roll method will work as well for you as it has been working for me.

Steve

Go Back to forum