• Register
  • Help

Topic: Symphony no.1 'Rigid Mist' | movements 1 and 2

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Symphony no.1 'Rigid Mist' | movements 1 and 2

Hey everybody!

It's been a while. And I'm here again to present what I call my 1st symphony and its first two movements that I've completed so far. I plan to write another two in the near future, whenever I can. Like most musical pieces, I presume, this one has a backstory as well and it's quite a long one. I'm not sure if I want to tell you all of that before you start listening, I'm assuming it would be better if you read it afterwards. Too bad the spoiler tags don't work here, so I'm gonna have to put the backstory up as a separate link. Go read it here.

And links for the music:
    So yes, it's still only 50% completed, but I'm quite happy with it and eager to receive your feedback. Enjoy!
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: Symphony no.1 'Rigid Mist' | movements 1 and 2

Have to be brief (left wrist got operated today), but I like it. It's not very symphonic in my ears; it's more tone poem-like with all these melodies flowing.

That said, they're great melodies, nice harmonies, everything flows naturally, and the sound is sumptuous. Some people will say there is too much reverb, but the general character fits. The music is somewhere between relaxing and contemplative. Your music shares some underlying quality with that of your famous compatriot, Pärt, but in mood rather than technique.

So far it's a good piece.
    Theo

Thank you, especially so for the comparison to Pärt Although I think it's a bit of a gratuitous comparison (cause I'm nowhere near the level of him ), but nevertheless - thanks
    I agree with the symphonic/tone poem comment. I was probably too excited about posting it, thus making me call it a 'symphony', but 'symphonic poem' sounds very good and more suitable for such material, indeed
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Hi Brindle,
    I have very much enjoyed listening to your Symphony 1. most atmospheric! I do hope that you manage to finish the work and shall look forward to hearing the rest when it appears in the Listening Room.
    Best wishes from a fellow Northern European, Antony D I Barnard

Hi Brindle!
    Sumptuous indeed! Long, moody, contemplative utterances, nice tonality and texture.
    You are developing a knack for the longer piece, thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Thank you

Very pleasant listen, indeed! You have certainly managed to create a lush soundscape here, and I feel the reverb (though too heavy in most recordings) certainly fits the mood you've created.

I like that you have a story to help drive the music (or vice versa? ) I often find it is much easier to compose something when I have a story to accompany it, than if I just have a few melodies, and motifs to help start me off.

Thanks for posting, truly an enjoyable composition you have going! Hope to hear more!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum