• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4 questions

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 questions

I'm buying a new 64-bit PC soon. When I do, I'd like to upgrade from GPO2 to GPO4. However, before I do I need to ask a few questions:

1. Do the section strings have a mute patch? (I'm assuming so at least with KS, but I'm wondering if there are also seperate mute patches for the section strings like GPO2 has.)

2. Do the flutes have vibrato and non-vibrato patches?

3. Do the non-vibrato instruments (bassoon, clarinet, etc.) have a vibrato controller?

4. Does the timpani have a KS for alternating left-hand and right-hand strikes? I developed a method for producing realistic timpani rolls. It works quite well with GPO2, but it depends on alternating strikes, so this one is pretty important for me.

5. When GPO4 first came out, I saw a few posts indicating that the 64-bit install had some bug problems (the 32-bit version seemed to be fine). Are there any known issues with the 64-bit version of GPO4 that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any responses to the above questions.

Cheers!

Steve Johnson

Re: GPO4 questions

Yes to all: GPO4 has everything GPO2 had.

Echoing the response you already have from Henry, I can assure you at least the 4 questions can be given an unequivocal Yes. The current GPO is essentially the same, but it's been imported into the new(ish) Aria engine, along with some nice bonus instruments, like the selection of SAM Brass now included.

As for the 64 bit version of Aria having problems, I'm not sure what you're referring to - And I don't know from first hand experience because IMHO, working in 64 bit audio isn't practical yet - far too many instruments and plug-ins aren't 64 bit yet, and so I'm quite happy working away in 32 bit.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Echoing the response you already have from Henry, I can assure you at least the 4 questions can be given an unequivocal Yes. The current GPO is essentially the same, but it's been imported into the new(ish) Aria engine, along with some nice bonus instruments, like the selection of SAM Brass now included.

As for the 64 bit version of Aria having problems, I'm not sure what you're referring to - And I don't know from first hand experience because IMHO, working in 64 bit audio isn't practical yet - far too many instruments and plug-ins aren't 64 bit yet, and so I'm quite happy working away in 32 bit.

Randy
    Thanks, Henry and Randy -- that was the answer I was hoping for. Randy, on the 64-bit issue, I think the "bugs" I was referring to were people having plug-in problems using the 64-bit version of GPO4. Based on what you said, it sounds like I should go with the 32-bit install.

Thanks again, gentlemen!

Steve

I've been using GPO, Steinway, JABB3 and CoMB2 in the 64 bit version of the ARIA player since it was beta and have never had a problem in Windows XP x64. I'm currently using it in Windows 7 Enterprise x64 and haven't found any issues.

Jim

Hi, Steve - I'm glad you got the reply from Haydn who's happily using the 64 bit version with no problem.

It doesn't hurt to go ahead and install both 32 and 64--That's what I've done. And I have both versions of Sonar installed even though I'm still using 32 bit Sonar. I poke my head in once in awhile to see how things are with the 64 bit Sonar - not happy yet, considering so many plugins don't work, can't seem to be bridged, and the CPU savings were exactly 1% better--that's why I've stayed with 32 bit.

But, I have my ducks in a row for when 64 bit grows up enough to my liking. Aria is at the ready.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Steve - I'm glad you got the reply from Haydn who's happily using the 64 bit version with no problem.

It doesn't hurt to go ahead and install both 32 and 64--That's what I've done. And I have both versions of Sonar installed even though I'm still using 32 bit Sonar. I poke my head in once in awhile to see how things are with the 64 bit Sonar - not happy yet, considering so many plugins don't work, can't seem to be bridged, and the CPU savings were exactly 1% better--that's why I've stayed with 32 bit.

But, I have my ducks in a row for when 64 bit grows up enough to my liking. Aria is at the ready.

Randy
    Hi, Randy!

Thanks so much for your followup -- it was quite helpful! I'm currently using Cubasis VST 4, which came bundled with the version of GPO I originally purchased about four years ago. Unless GPO4 includes a newer version of Cubasis, I'll stick with what I have. That being the case, it sounds like only the 32-bit version of GPO4 will work. However, your point is well taken about installing both the 32- and 64-bit versions.

By the way, I'm really looking forward to making the upgrade to GPO4. The symphony-in-progress I posted up at the Listening Room sounds good now, but I think it'll sound way better once I can redo the performance with GPO4's instrument library and Ambience reverb. Hopefully there won't be as much of a learning curve as there was with GPO2, though, since I'm anxious to get back to work and add new material to what I've written so far.

Appreciate your help!

Steve

Go Back to forum