Most people use sustaining instruments such as strings, woodwinds and brass for single lines or fills when sequencing. I like to play classical piano works for fun using patches other than the piano, although most such patches work poorly:

Problem 1: Single instruments usually have much less range than is covered in most piano music.
Problem 2. Sustaining instruments respond poorly to pedal use.
Problem 3. Moving lines tend to be too soft while sustained notes can be overpowering.
Problem 4. Note releases may be too abrupt.
Problem 5. Much piano music depends on the natural decay of the instrument tone.
Problem 6. Using keyboard regions for different instruments results in poor continuity for melodies crossing the boundaries.

One can construct sustaining patches that work around some of these difficulties. For problems 1 and 6 one can map out instruments according to range( a brass section, for example ) and blend the overlap regions to make the overall keyboard feel continuous. For 3 one can pull back the volume a bit on the sustain, although if a sample has a slow attack it is difficult to deal with after the fact. I\'ve found that a little decay on release(4) can make the sound much easier to play. The only solutions I can think of for
2 and 5 involve rewritting the music and adjusting one\'s playing style.

Is anyone else interested in sample libraries
of brass, string and woodwind that can handle things like beethoven sonatas? Would there be any market in this for sample developers?

I have one patch where I have mapped out bassoon to oboe to piccolo with a bit of cross fade over the regions. It took a bit of playing with the attacks and such, but now I have it at a point where it feels pretty nice for Mozart sonatas. It does not have a strong dynamic tonal range, but this is not too bad for this music. Does anyone else have experiences in constructing similar patches?