• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Everything from GPO2 and nothing more...

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Everything from GPO2 (and nothing more...)

Maybe I will not make friends by saying this, but I was really slightly disappointed by having nothing new in GPO4, expect of course the SAM brass.

Not even a little toy was added.

Somewhere I read on the package "2 Pianos", then I was thinking "maybe they added a Standup Piano!" But there was nothing, Maybe It's the Celeste or the Harspichord, but a real standup would really be great. I love a standup Piano, its more intimate.

After 2 sequent editions I was sort of expecting something.
    Ok this is maybe a pretty big request.
    Instead a Cimbalon, Hammered Dulcimer, Hackbrett, Zither or Blaster Beam would be pretty funny. I love all sort of metallic percussion toys
    Like those beauty's

Btw: What is this instrument called where you bend a saw-blade to make these wobbling sounds, they are completely forgotten? weren't they pretty common in music score some day?

Re: Everything from GPO2 and nothing more...

Hi BuddhaMaster,

Thanks for the feedback--it's good to be critical. I don't know much about the old versions of GPO, but I believe the main purpose of the GPO4 release was to get things working with the ARIA player (allowing for 64 bit operation). In other words, most of the improvements were made under the hood. ARIA gives a better platform with which to expand the products, add effects, etc.

Quite a few people have expressed interest in historic instruments. So, it's likely that in the future we could see a historic insrument library released. As for the instrument you are referring to: I've heard it before but unfortunately I also don't know the name of it.

Cheers,
    Tim
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

A musical saw, also called a singing saw, is the application of a hand saw as a musical instrument.

Hi BuddhaMaster

The main point about GPO4, and the new versions of all the Garritan Libraries, is that they are programmed now to work in Aria instead of Kontakt. There was a long history of problems, delayed developments, broken codes etc as long as the Garritan instruments were being ported as 3rd party programs in Native Instruments' Kontakt.

Now the Garritan company is free of all that hassle, and has developed its own sample player, Aria.

But in the new version of GPO, besides being in Aria, and the addition of all the key SAM Brass instruments, there's also the return of the great Garritan Ambience reverb, much more intuitive use of special MIDI controllers, the great sounding Stereo Stage--and last, but not least, the Auto Legato feature which virtually replaces the more time consuming method requiring the complicated use of CC64.

Maybe the changes and additions aren't as "sexy" as you'd hoped for, but GPO4 is a vastly improved library from the earlier versions. I think you'll find that to be true as you work with it longer.

It's so completely not true to say "everything from GPO2 and nothing more."

Randy

I believe Buddhamaster wanted to have more instruments added to the orchestra.

That brings us to the old dilemma of sample developers: If you start adding more unusual instruments and articulations, the size of the library swells to terabyte size and four-figure price. The mission of GPO has always been to include just the orchestral "necessities" to keep both the price and the size down. (and in "bang-for-the-buck" ratio it is still, and I think always will be, unsurpassed)

I think we should make a FAQ point of this as it has come up several times before.

Cheers
    Last edited by Aziraphal; 08-15-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Terrible English

Re: Everything from GPO2 (and nothing more...)

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaMaster View Post
    Btw: What is this instrument called where you bend a saw-blade to make these wobbling sounds, they are completely forgotten? weren't they pretty common in music score some day?
    If you aren't talking about the actual saw itself, perhaps you are thinking of the Theremin.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    If you aren't talking about the actual saw itself, perhaps you are thinking of the Theremin.
    And if you are talking about the actual saw, it's called [wait for this ...] a musical saw.

Pat

A sample library for vintage synths like the Theremin? I sure hope not. Much better off using physical modeling of the circuit components for that (synthesizing the "analog" synth sounds). It would be a quillian times more expressive and as a result would enable way more realistic sounding performances than samples (especially considering the evolving nature of Theremin tones). We can say the same about any instrument that sustains tones, but with acoustic instruments like violin the challenge of modeling is in a different realm.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaMaster View Post
    There was a replacement for the musical saw called the Flexatone that was apparently easier to play. Descriptions on the web refer to it as a percussion instrument (and pictures show one or two attached "mallets"). However, Khachaturian's piano concerto's original part for musical saw was replaced with a part of flexatone so there must be some non-percussive way of playing it. I think that part may occasionally be played by a theremin but it's more often just omitted. (With all the classically trained musical saw, flexatone, and theremin performers around, I can't understand the problem. )

Maybe the Garritan folks are planning to including one or more of those in World Music collection. Or maybe we'll have to wait for the Out-of-This-World Music collection.

Pat

The libraries needed to be updated to use the ARIA player which in itself was a big programming project. The extra instruments such as the SAM Brass were added as a bonus. Also, there are a couple choir sounds that were added. Adding more instruments would have delayed the release even longer.

There were issues Kontakt 3 users were having with the libraries which would have required more resources to update. So I think the update to ARIA was a better idea. I find that ARIA uses less resources than Kontakt 3.5 or 4.1 use. Kontakt 2 was getting dated and didn't play well with multi-processor systems plus it isn't 64 bit compatible.

Now that GPO, JABB and CoMB are out, other NEW libraries can be worked on. World Instruments is up next and will be taking the programming of ARIA up another step.

Jim

Go Back to forum