• Register
  • Help

Topic: Should I buy a wind controller?

Share/Bookmark

Should I buy a wind controller?

Why are there so few models to choose from?

Most of the WC websites I\'ve been able to find seem poorly maintained, as if WC users are dwindling in number and losing heart.

WX-series aficionados seem to prefer the no-longer-available WX11 to the WX5. They say the WX5 is too flimsy and plastic.

In his book, \"Midi for the Professional,\" Paul Lehrman has some pretty discouraging things to say about WCs (but his book is pretty old, too).

If you insist on using one, he says, be prepared to disable a lot of the preset envelopes and LFOs in your synth patches so that you can produce the same effects or better with your WC.

Would that be true of Giga libraries as well?

Seems I\'ve heard that some of the XSample libraries I own include programs especially designed for WCs. Any good reports? Are they programmed (or \"un-programmed\") a la Paul Lehrman\'s recommendations? Just wondering.

How would you use a WC with a sample library that makes use of extensive key-switching?

I really want to buy one, but for 600 bucks it seems I ought to think twice. Wish the evidence was all in favor.

Re: Should I buy a wind controller?

Let me know if you do. I\'ve been thinking about it too, but I\'ve held off just because it is a lot of $$$ to spend without being able to try it out first.

I\'m someone else in the wind controller market. I had never considered one, actually, then a composer I respect told me that if I really wanted convincing winds, the only way to do it was with a wind controller - and a modelling synthesizer. I\'m keeping my eyes open.
    In the meantime, you might also want to explore the combination of the controller, together with the modelling synth.

Hello!

I wonder if anyone knows what data come out of wind cotroller when you play a note and what happens if you hold the note and say increase your breath pressure. This might seem to be stupid concern but I find it to be quite fundamental for answering the question of controlling the Gigastudio.

Ondrej

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ondrej:
    I wonder if anyone knows what data come out of wind cotroller when you play a note and what happens if you hold the note and say increase your breath pressure. This might seem to be stupid concern but I find it to be quite fundamental for answering the question of controlling the Gigastudio.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a Yamaha WX5 (which I like better than the WX11, incidentally), and it can output either CC2 or CC7 information for the breath output.

GigaStudio allows you to set up patches to work extremely well with breath controllers. You just map attenuation to whatever CC you spit out of the wind controller, and change the velocity response to linear/low and you\'re done.

The results can be extremely impressive, particularly in wind and string programming.

I\'ve seen Bruce\'s effusions about the WX5 posted elsewhere, and they\'re a good part of the reason I\'m thinking about buying one.

Hi!

You should check Art Whitfields homepage (his FAQ) & the windsynth organisations archives. YOu even can send an email there and ask your questions. Art told me that he likes the WX 7 & 11 more than the 5 because of there non-plastic-feeling. He says that he prefers the 11 over the 5 but that many love their 5 dearly... On the windsynth list you will see just how many have an Evi or a WX. WX 11 & 7 go on eBay. I think currently someone in Germany is trying to sell a WX 11 & VL70m combo for 1200 DM starting price ($600), bought immediately: $750. For PM models try to either get a VL70m (monophon)or VL1m (duo) or get a Korg Oasys PCI card with up to 20 voices polyphony (\"blow out\" price at Guitar Cente for $500 with a former price of $2200).

kind regards

------------------
    O.H.

Bruce,

do I understand it right that the WX outputs note on message + 1 controller data? Do you know what velocity value the note on message has? Is it fixed or is it based on your breath pressure?

Ondrej

>I really want to buy one, but for 600 bucks it seems I ought to think twice. Wish the evidence was all in favor.<

Hi!

In case you want a WX 11. I can provide one. I ask 650 German marks (DM) for it (additional shipping & handling). According to the current exchange rate 650 DM = about $285. Mail to harryprivat@aol.com
    if interested.

regards

------------------
    O.H.

Go Back to forum