hey guys

i m planning to upgrade my system from win xp prof 32 bit
    to windows 7 64 bit ....so now here the question arises

will my vst work on win 7 64 bit or would be a big problem

any one of u have done this please do let me know

thnx

jay

Re: IS Upgrade possible from xp pro to win 7

You'll have to perform a fresh install of Windows 7 since there's no way to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. Make backups of all your data before you start. Also verify that your audio and controller hardware manufacturers have released 64-bit drivers. Other than that you shouldn't run into any problems. I run Reason, Record and Live with plug-ins (all 32-bit) on Windows 7 64-bit and it works great.

Good luck!

/sp0
    macbook pro 13", pcr-800, remote 25sl compact, microkey37, lpk25, reason 7.0.1, live 9.0.4, omnisphere 1.5.6d, trilian 1.4.1d, stylus rmx 1.9.6e

Quote Originally Posted by sp0bjogu View Post
    You'll have to perform a fresh install of Windows 7 since there's no way to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. Make backups of all your data before you start. Also verify that your audio and controller hardware manufacturers have released 64-bit drivers. Other than that you shouldn't run into any problems. I run Reason, Record and Live with plug-ins (all 32-bit) on Windows 7 64-bit and it works great.

Good luck!

/sp0

thanx for the reply buddy ....so tht means any vst plugin like East west Gold... omni ...stylus..... choirs.....kontakt..... all will work fine ..... coz i have these plugins i dont use reason and live so wanted to be sure before i take a jump

Quote Originally Posted by spooky008in View Post
    thanx for the reply buddy ....so tht means any vst plugin like East west Gold... omni ...stylus..... choirs.....kontakt..... all will work fine ..... coz i have these plugins i dont use reason and live so wanted to be sure before i take a jump
    Yes, generally you should have no problems with your plugins. Personally I run Omnisphere, Sylenth 1 and Bass Station and they're all good. I have tried lots of others too, just works. Can't remember ever having issues with 32-bit applications running on a 64-bit OS.

What DAW are you planning on using?

/sp0
    macbook pro 13", pcr-800, remote 25sl compact, microkey37, lpk25, reason 7.0.1, live 9.0.4, omnisphere 1.5.6d, trilian 1.4.1d, stylus rmx 1.9.6e

Quote Originally Posted by sp0bjogu View Post
    Yes, generally you should have no problems with your plugins. Personally I run Omnisphere, Sylenth 1 and Bass Station and they're all good. I have tried lots of others too, just works. Can't remember ever having issues with 32-bit applications running on a 64-bit OS.

What DAW are you planning on using?

/sp0
    well just figuring out which is very stable and sturdy configuration ..... as i have lot of film scoring work so want a machine whihc could handle video and vst flawlessly

thinking of going for intel Intel Core I7 2.66GHz 4 cores 8 threads

what would u recommend ???

Re. "since there's no way to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7"

Sorry, but that is not correct. One certainly can upgrade directly. In fact, in the "Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade" edition, there is even a special insert with instructions on how to upgrade from XP. In addition, the upgrade version of W7 has a requirement that either XP or Vista must already be installed on your hard drive if you wish to upgrade. You can't install the Upgrade edition on a new hard drive that does not have XP or Vista on it, so it's very important that, if you are getting a new system, that you buy the full version of Win 7 and NOT the upgrade version. Hope that clarifies things for you.

BTW, I also recommend that you do not go blindly into switching to 64 bit. You need to assess each of your important plug-ins first, including your VSTi(s) and determine if they will work (well) in a 64 bit system. Only then will you have your answer. There is no 'blanket' answer to this. One person may be having no problems with what he/she has while someone else might end up trying to use a bridge to get an important plug-in to work or discover that a favorite plug-in doesn't work at all. So please just be careful. We're getting closer to 64 bit music systems being successful for most users, but we're still not quite there yet. Some manufacturers still haven't offered 64 bit versions of their software either. I suggest that a little caution and a bit more research now will mean fewer problems after you spend time and money on creating a new music computer system for yourself.

PS. Just a little trivia FYI
    VST= Virtual Studio Technology, developed by Steinberg
    VSTi= Virtual Studio Technology Instrument...i.e. an instrument developed using VS technology/protocols. So what you are referring to are VSTi(s), not VST(s).
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Quote Originally Posted by playz123 View Post

Sorry, but that is not correct. One certainly can upgrade directly. In fact, in the "Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade" edition, there is even a special insert with instructions on how to upgrade from XP. In addition, the upgrade version of W7 has a requirement that either XP or Vista must already be installed on your hard drive if you wish to upgrade. You can't install the Upgrade edition on a new hard drive that does not have XP or Vista on it, so it's very important that, if you are getting a new system, that you buy the full version of Win 7 and NOT the upgrade version. Hope that clarifies things for you.
    Technically it's a migration process, not an upgrade. The guide helps you back up your Windows XP data and settings, make a fresh install of Windows 7 and finally restore your data and settings.
    As a last step you will have to re-install all of your third party applications - none of them will be available when the "upgrade" process is finished.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...p-to-windows-7

And as long as you're a valid, licensed owner of a previous Windows version it is indeed possible to use Windows 7 upgrade media to make a clean install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/cle...rade_media.asp

Hope this helps.

/sp0

Re. "Technically it's a migration process, not an upgrade."
    --LOL, well if you really want to get into semantics, I'll be pleased to accommodate, but since "Upgrade" is written all over the documents and the W7 box, and most would consider moving from XP to W7 as an "upgrade", and moving from one version of program to another is normally referred to as an "upgrade", I'm afraid I'm going to have to suggest that "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, there's a good chance it is a duck!:

Re. your second point, via the link one can read that "While you can't simply use Upgrade media to do a clean install of Windows 7 on a new or previously formatted PC, the workarounds this time are easier than ever". IMHO, "Workarounds" is indeed the operative word there.

You are correct that there are workarounds via registry hacks ("not supported by Microsoft") etc. that will allow one to install a W7 upgrade on a new hard drive. Perhaps I should have been clearer about that, but I also wasn't going to suggest doing that sort of thing, especially on this forum. Those approaches do not match Microsoft's intention, and they may not be a suitable option for many who are not familiar with or comfortable with trying those types of things. In any case, it could be a moot point here; I suggest there were other points more important in my post. When someone buys a new system, generally the provider will install Win 7 for you, and they can sell you an OEM upgrade version if you wish (and you can prove you own a previous version of Windows, which most people do). The only problem with coming home with the "upgrade" is if you want to do a fresh install at a later date. Nothing in the included Microsoft documents tells one how to do that, and I can vouch that for several users I know, the old type of fresh install process used previously for upgrade versions did not work, and as the author of the article states, he's aware of that. Anyway, all this stuff about Windows upgrades probably isn't worth debating here on this forum. Just wanted to provide a bit of 'heads up' information for someone considering 64 bit and a new music system. Cheers!
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Thumbs up Re: IS Upgrade possible from xp pro to win 7

Quote Originally Posted by playz123 View Post

BTW, I also recommend that you do not go blindly into switching to 64 bit. You need to assess each of your important plug-ins first, including your VSTi(s) and determine if they will work (well) in a 64 bit system. Only then will you have your answer. There is no 'blanket' answer to this. One person may be having no problems with what he/she has while someone else might end up trying to use a bridge to get an important plug-in to work or discover that a favorite plug-in doesn't work at all. So please just be careful. We're getting closer to 64 bit music systems being successful for most users, but we're still not quite there yet. Some manufacturers still haven't offered 64 bit versions of their software either. I suggest that a little caution and a bit more research now will mean fewer problems after you spend time and money on creating a new music computer system for yourself.

PS. Just a little trivia FYI
    VST= Virtual Studio Technology, developed by Steinberg
    VSTi= Virtual Studio Technology Instrument...i.e. an instrument developed using VS technology/protocols. So what you are referring to are VSTi(s), not VST(s).
    welll

i am referring to everything vst and vsti ...all softwares and plugins
    basically what all softwares were there on xp want to shift it to win 7 so i can work peacfulll with no ram issues .

well do u know any site where i can look for the answers for compatibility of the vst and vsti with win 7 ??

Re. "well do u know any site where i can look for the answers for compatibility of the vst and vsti with win 7 ??"

Personally I do not know of any one web site where you can find information re ALL VSTi(s) and related software that are compatible with Win 7. Microsoft does have a Win 7 page where you can check the compatibility of some software and hardware, but it covers very little in the way of music related items. Of course I expect you are interested in compatibility with the 64 bit version of Win 7, not just Win 7 itself. What I would suggest is that you make a list of all the plug-ins and software you have that you will want to run on your new system then check each one out using the specifications listed on manufacturer's web sites and, of course, via music forums. Perhaps start with your DAW itself and your hardware (such as your digital audio interface and MIDI hardware) then move on to the other software. Tedious yes, but better than some nasty surprises later.

Go Back to forum