• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giton

Share/Bookmark

Giton

Light and playful, or so I imagine it. GPO organ.

One person called it "Old Man Bach on Moonshine", which I consider a good description.

Giton

Richard

Re: Giton

Indeed, a derailing fugue. I like the theme, and the ending is great, and reminds me of this: the story goes that Old Man Bach was teaching one of his sons and fell asleep while the student played. Once the student noticed that, he got up from the harpichord in the middle of a fugue and left the room. Then Bach woke up, walked over to the harpsichord, finished the fugue in two bars, and returned to sleep in his chair.
    Theo

To be quite honest, if I were on moonshine, all you'd likely hear would be one single, loud, sustained chord. This chord would likely contain roughly 50% of the keys on the board. Simply because the arrangement in which my arms and face landed on the keyboards when I passed out could not cover them all.

This, on the contrary, is a bit more lively! I understand the reference to drunkenness, and this certainly has a sort of meandering, lilting (if that's the correct word) feel to it. It does sound as if you've managed to use every key on the organ! I certainly enjoyed it, either way!

I must ask, though, what does Giton mean?

Thanks for posting!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Well, thank you Theo and Michael. I am always pleased when someone takes the time to comment, and more so when the comments are favorable.

Giton, is the name of a character in The Satyricon of Petronius. I read it last about 35 years ago, so perhaps I have erred.

Richard

Go Back to forum