• Register
  • Help

Topic: Switching to Mac - Will libraries move easily?

Share/Bookmark

Switching to Mac - Will libraries move easily?

Hello,

I'm considering switching from PC to Mac.

I use Kontakt constantly. Kontakt itself is easy, I'll just install the Mac version.

However, I'm wondering about all my libraries. I assume I can just copy all of them over. Has anyone done this? Is it really that simple?

Thanks

Mark

Re: Switching to Mac - Will libraries move easily?

That's a really 'loaded' question, and one that cannot be answered simply. To begin, much depends on how the drive the samples are on is formatted or how you plan to transfer the files. For example, a Mac can read FAT32, but not NTFS drives, and if you've been using Windows XP or Vista or Win 7, chances are your drive is formatted NTFS. So you would then have to copy all those files to a FAT 32 drive. Next FAT 32 is not the preferred format on a Mac (journaled is), so you would then have to copy the files in the Mac to a properly formatted drive...and so it goes. In any case, while it certainly is tedious, I would still recommend, that rather than copy, you fresh reinstall each library on the Mac...for a number of reasons.

One of the things I found extremely helpful when I switched from a PC to a Mac in 2009 was a book by David Pogue called "Switching to the Mac, the Missing Manual". No matter how much one knows about PCs, there are a lot of things to consider, and this book explains a lot of it. Hope that helps..............frank
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated! I'll check out that book you recommended.

I was under the impression that Macs will read, but not write, NTFS drives. I'm not doubting you, but just relaying what my Mac buddies have told me.

My main concern is libraries like Requiem, which are huge and download-only. I can reinstall my Bela D libraries from the box but I've got a lot of download-only ones. Those will have to come via some kind of transfer.

LOL, by all means, doubt me on this. Reading AND writing on NTFS drive is certainly different than just reading them, and it's writing to a NTFS drive I was focused on. Should have been clearer.....and I also think your Mac friends are right.
    Re. NTFS drives and reading AND writing to them..well I'm no expert, so certainly try both, but the author of the book mentions that "The Mac can handle FAT hard drives just fine, but chokes with NTFS hard drives". So certainly for sharing files back and forth you'd be better using FAT 32 for file exchanges between PCs and a Mac.............................frank
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Hi

Being a user of both PCs and Mac's I can confirm that (at least from Leopard and above) Mac can quite happily read FAT, FAT32 and NTFS drives. It cannot write to an NTFS drive (there are ways using Parallels and other tools but I wouldn't recommend it).

In moving your libraries it really is a simple straight forward copy.

If you currently use an external HD for your libraries I would suggest getting a second drive (internal or external) and use that to move the libraries from the existing NTFS partitions onto a MAC formatted partition. You could continue to work (read) off the NTFS partition but it's not optimal and of course you can't save anything back.

For Kontakt you would need to readd each library back in (just point Kontakt 4 at the path where the library is) and you probably also need to do a batch resave on the sample paths.

Best

Tim

And if you do copy files to the Mac and your libraries are on a separate hard drive., you'll also want to read up on creating Aliases...similar to shortcuts on a PC, so your programs/plug-ins on the main drive can find their related libraries. Some manufacturer's (e.g. Toontrack) even require that you install some of their libraries on the main drive first and then use their software to move the library to the sample drive. But you'll discover all this and more as you migrate. Hope you enjoy it all as much as I did. Cheers.............frank

I'd invest in mac drive - a $50 app that lets you mount mac formatted drives on your PC. That way you can just copy the data over and no muss, no fuss!

Or spend $6 on an Ethernet cable...

Go Back to forum