• Register
  • Help

Topic: Notating trills in Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Notating trills in Sonar

I'm using Sonar Producer 8.5 and I'm trying to insert a piccolo trill in a project. I do all of my work through staff view and then add controllers and envelopes as needed. I have figured out how to trigger the bass drum rolls and timpani rolls, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to trigger a piccolo trill. The fact is, of course, I could just write it in 1/64th notes, but I hate it when I know a program is supposed to do something, and I can't make it do it!

Re: Notating trills in Sonar

Duh, sorry. I forgot to mention I'm using Aria Personal Orchestra.

Re: Notating trills in Sonar

Quote Originally Posted by mkuehlok2 View Post
    I'm using Sonar Producer 8.5 and I'm trying to insert a piccolo trill in a project. I do all of my work through staff view and then add controllers and envelopes as needed. I have figured out how to trigger the bass drum rolls and timpani rolls, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to trigger a piccolo trill. The fact is, of course, I could just write it in 1/64th notes, but I hate it when I know a program is supposed to do something, and I can't make it do it!
    In GPO4 playable trills are available only with the string keyswitch (KS) patches (this applies to solo and section strings). For winds and brass you'll need to create your own trills note-by-note. If your keyboard skills are such that you can do this by real-time recording with your MIDI keyboard in Sonar, that would be the easiest way to go. Otherwise, your only other choice is to manually input each note of the trill with appropriate note durations and start times for the tempo you're using. I realize this is a huge pain, but GPO never had playable trills for non-string instruments.

On the subject of trills, you should take a look at pages 56 and 70 in the PDF manual that comes with GPO4. This addresses the ARIA auto-legato feature as it applies to creating trills.

Hope the above helps, at least a little.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Go Back to forum