• Register
  • Help

Topic: Elephant instruments Omni + Trilian = 75,5 gig!

Share/Bookmark

Elephant instruments Omni + Trilian = 75,5 gig!

Got I chock today when I found out how big the Omnisphere and Trilian instruments really are. Together they take up 75,5 gig on my harddrive!

Now I got a hefty desktop computer that has room for it, but later on I´m planning on selling that old computer and go mobile, and I have a hard time seeing how I´ll get room for these elephant instruments in my laptop.

Of course I could have them on an external USB hd, but that doesn´t really make the sampled instruments load faster, does it now. They load slowly enough on my C-drive as it is.

Dear Spectrasonics, would it be possible to optimize these instruments for size?

Re: Elephant instruments Omni + Trilian = 75,5 gig!

Laptopdrives are 500 GB these days-so there should be enough room to reserve like 200 GB for sounds and samples.
    Omni and Trilian are indeed optimized in size in terms of balancing the quality/size ratio.
    I am sure no byte was wasted when the filesizes were considered. Everything sounds perfectly right when i play the sounds.

My complete Sample lib is about 1 TB in size.too big for a mobile rig but then again i dont need most of those sounds all of the time anyways.
    The Spectrasonics stuff i consider to be essentials that i cannot miss.
    No problem to give it the space it needs.

It is generally considered a better option to have samples playback from an external firewire or eSATA drive, as far as I understand it. While libraries may be partially loaded into RAM when used in a session, they are also often streaming from these drives realtime. With a notebook, the trouble starts when you find yourself doing something like playing back existing audio tracks, streaming sample libraries, recording a live input, running a sequencer program, AND keeping an operating system smoothly running...all on the same drive.

My understanding is that the better solution is an internal OS drive, external audio drive, and an external sample library drive. When using a laptop, I have often run OS, project, and audio on the internal and then just streamed in samples from a fast external Firewire 800 drive and had few problems. If you had a separate external audio drive and the option of an eSATA or other port, that's even better to keep the Firewire port from getting too flooded by multiple drives (daisy chaining is only efficient up to a point).

Really though, I'm just looking forward to the affordable Solid-State drives!

-Zem

Principal Researcher, Audio Genetics Lab
    http://audiogeneticslab.com

Spectrasonics builds future synths. They are pushing the envelope on even the fastest systems today so you know that in 2 years- they will be utilizing a lot of the current speed and memory increases of the day. Isn't it nice knowing you have invested in an instrument that you can grow into. I think they want to push the extremes of what is possible today- and I think their software deserves a dedicated system to run on anyways.

What if I want a fast 256 gb SSD (solid state disc) for my new laptop?

Then I´d like to really make use of the SSD for everything, OS and samples and audio. Then the elephants Omni and Trilian would have a bit hard time to fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by hebex View Post
    What if I want a fast 256 gb SSD (solid state disc) for my new laptop?
    That's what I use and it works great with Omnisphere and Trilian!

Then I´d like to really make use of the SSD for everything, OS and samples and audio. Then the elephants Omni and Trilian would have a bit hard time to fit in.
    I don't have any trouble fitting and using them on my 256 SSD. If you need more space, just get a larger SSD drive or an external drive for more space or your other files.

There are a lot of good options now at many different price points. The options will only continue to get better too.

Quote Originally Posted by hebex View Post
    Got I chock today when I found out how big the Omnisphere and Trilian instruments really are. Together they take up 75,5 gig on my harddrive!
    To put it in perspective, there are already 128gb USB Jump drives available....so all three Spectrasonics instruments will now fit in your pocket on your keychain!

Dear Spectrasonics, would it be possible to optimize these instruments for size?
    They are already optimized for best sound quality and best size. We spend a lot of time on optimization actually. But we never sacrifice sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    To put it in perspective, there are already 128gb USB Jump drives available....so all three Spectrasonics instruments will now fit in your pocket on your keychain!...
    Hey, could you actually use this to play the instruments? The read times are around 30mb...but will the USB interface pose problems? Though at those current prices, not sure it makes sense...but I just installed a 160 SSD and am already finding it too small. (the 480gb costs a LOT)

Quote Originally Posted by Sergievsky View Post
    (the 480gb costs a LOT)
    They sure do.

I'm also using omni and trilian on my MBP, and its well worth the space. Considering the VAST amount of content in these libraries, and I mean VAST. It is well worth it.

My VSL special edition library alone is about 120GB, and thats just orchestral instruments..

Relatively speaking these days, spectrasonics libraries have a very good quality+variety+flexibility / GB ratio. Just my opinion of course. I make quite eclectic music, so its essential for me.

Go Back to forum