• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Please tell me this is fair.

Share/Bookmark

Please tell me this is fair.

[This message has been edited by Endicott (edited 09-08-2001).]

Re: Please tell me this is fair.

Try Awave from Fmj Software (www.fmjsoft.com)

There are three issues here:

1. These translation programmes have not been around that long in their current state. I think it would be fair to say that they have only really matured in the last twelve months. I own a Roland sampler which is over 10 years old, and the translations are still being (slightly) tweaked. Gigasampler is WAY younger than that, and Gigastudio is only about 1 year old.

2. Translation experts like Chicken Systems and Amazing Sound are totally independent. They will make translations when they think there is a market for them which justifies their time developing the code. Garth from Chickensys has also said that he feels it would be a little unfair for him to unlock the Giga\'s Golden Goose - ie it\'s library, before Nemesys has even had a chance to get a return from the development of the software which inspired the library developers to go \'the extra mile\'. He didn\'t say never, just \'not yet\'.

3. Translating .gigs to akai or Exs or Halion format is kind of like putting high octane nitro fuel in your garden whipper snipper - you aren\'t going to get the same experience as you get with your dragster. These libraries are generally developed to take advantage of features which either don\'t exist on the other samplers, or are not as well implemented. Things like key-switched dimensions, high polyphony HD streaming are central to a lot of this library and a little thin on the ground elsewhere. Sure - export the wav files and rebuild the instruments on another sampler. It won\'t be as much fun though.

I don\'t believe we can talk about NemeSys being unfair - unless you can say that Akai, E-mu, Ensonique, etc. gladly helped to make coversions easier... do you really think so? NemeSys will do what they can to hinder this, I am sure - and wouldn\'t Akai do the same, if they could?

When Chikensys talks about being fair to NemeSys, then I think it is OK. Akai and Emu have had more than 10 years to profit from their invention and we all will benefit it NemeSys will be here in 5 years from now.
    A perfect conversion would probably force NemeSys to find other ways to make money, by going into Sequencer-stuff. Just like Emagic and Steinberg have been forced to seek new ways as the market was beginning to get full.

Thomas

Originally posted by Endicott:
    [b]I know that it´s unfair for me to always try to have the last word...[b/]

Well you won\'t, cos I am just saving a big gig right now and it gives me time to write this answer!

Eventually we will have the translation - it would be strange if we wrote 2070 and it still was impossible...

Let\'s us just hope that we can still create/buy libraries of giga-standard. History has unfortunately shown us that the best quality doesn\'t always win - just think VHS. Personally with my knowledge of both Steinberg and Emagic(I am a Logic user - formerly Cubase VST) I hope not, that it will be any of these companies that will win the battle. GigaStudio is the software I own with fewest bugs together with my old SoundForge 4.5 (5.0 is not so good...)

Thomas

[This message has been edited by SCARBEE (edited 07-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by SCARBEE (edited 07-04-2001).]

This concept of \"fairness\" is a dangerous way of thinking. I have no idea how one can assume that when a company makes a product which is entirely beneficial, that it suddenly has a moral responsibility to fulfill in that it should make sure that all people benefit equally from it. These companies have made products to earn money. They focus their efforts where the demand lies, as this is the path which leads to their success. In so doing they end up trying to help the majority.

If there is demand for a translator which works the other way, then some company will pick up the task. But just because a company makes the translation possible in one way, it doesn\'t mean they have any more moral responsibility to make it work the other way than you or I do.

On top of this, how could it even be expected of a company to make a Giga >> ?? translator? Many gig libraries are far too large for this to be practical. I doubt that many companies would want to create a product and then have to tell customers that it wouldn\'t work with many of the libraries.

Let\'s not put companies like Chicken Systems and Amazing Sound (CDxtract) on Nemesys\' payroll either.

These guys are only tied to Nemesys from the point of view that they have spent time ($) building software products based around their programme. They are true THIRD party developers.

Nemesys don\'t tell them what to do/not do.

Apart from Garth\'s ethical wishes to give Nemesys a fair chance to market a clever innovation, the availability of translations from Giga to format \'X\' will almost totally depend on the perceived demand and the level of difficulty of the project.

Go to the Chicken Systems pages and you\'ll see many references to the status of certain conversions basically being dependent on how popular the platform is, or how many requests for it they get.

Let\'s not put companies like Chicken Systems and Amazing Sound (CDxtract) on Nemesys\' payroll either.

These guys are only tied to Nemesys from the point of view that they have spent time ($) building software products based around their programme. They are true THIRD party developers.

Nemesys don\'t tell them what to do/not do.

Apart from Garth\'s ethical wishes to give Nemesys a fair chance to market a clever innovation, the availability of translations from Giga to format \'X\' will almost totally depend on the perceived demand and the level of difficulty of the project.

Go to the Chicken Systems pages and you\'ll see many references to the status of certain conversions basically being dependent on how popular the platform is, or how many requests for it they get.

Go Back to forum