(This is just for fun! Not sure this is all going to work though, I think this free edition of the storage "FilesAnywhere" is limited to 25 downloads per day. So try the next day if that's the case.)
One of our members recently wrote this. “ Perhaps we should run a contest. We have a lot of writers with very identifiable styles here—it would be interesting to see if we actually could pick out the different writers just by listening.”
Loved the idea and decided to run with it.
1. I’ll give one week for everyone to guess who I am. (will reveal who I am next Wednesday night)
2. I’ll give credit to the person who originated this idea then too. (I may or may not be him or her)
3. I opened a free storage account for this contest so you can’t tell by the site who it is. (many of us have our own websites or use Box.net etc… that would narrow down the candidates by familiarity of storage used …can’t have that!)
4. The mystery composer can also make a Bogus guess too, so as to obfuscate the real identity of the composer.
5. Composition less than one minute in length. ( I wrote and rendered this in one day, rendering done with no controllers used, hence the sterile sound, but heck, that adds to the anonymity value.)
If we continue this contest, maybe we could streamline this somehow, (get storage here, have a membership/registration on NorthernSounds just for the contestants…etc. Ideas, thoughts on this are welcome.)
I think this is really a novel way to bring more listeners to the listening room. I agree that each composer (in the forum, as well as outside...if there is an outside world...) has his or her own distinct style. I admit I don't listen to the postings in the Listening Room as much as some others, but I feel I know some of the composers enough to make an educated guess. I have a couple of ideas of who it could be, but I'd like to explore their music a bit further before I make a guess.
Hmm... I quite like this idea. Sounds like a lot of fun, though I think I need to post more stuff here so people can actually hear my style. TBH, it would be fun just to know if I even really have a distinct style that people could recognize.
But I will not likely submit a piece because most people who have heard any of my work would recognize it as mine very quickly.
Hmm, could this possibly be a comment to throw us off track?
I think I'll take a stab of a guess, as way off as it may be, so perhaps I'll be the first brave enough to embarrass myself! My guess will have to be FLWrd. I simply wish I had listened to more compositions from everyone, but perhaps this contest will give me incentive to do so!
I must say, you're getting warm....okay...maybe sizzling hot, but I'm not saying one way or the other at this point.
I can see already that one of the unintended benefits of this is that we all go back and listen to other member's pieces with "new ears"....I mean, really listen...and along the way, discover gems that we might have missed the first time around. This is a great thing to foster and nurture amongst members of our incredible forum!
About one day left, surely there are more guesses?!
Perhaps someone could supply an argument as to why the think it is who it is? I've not had time to break down the recording and compare it to my guess of who it is in order to construct a nice argument to support my guess.