• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4 Insturment Sounds - HELP

Share/Bookmark

Question GPO4 Insturment Sounds - HELP

I just purchased Finale 2011 (I also have a stand alone GPO4 which I have not yet loaded). I purchased Finale 2011 because it integrated GPO4 sounds. However, I am finding that when I play back pieces, the trumpets sound synthesized and pinched as do the trombones in the mid and lower ranges. The woodwinds seem to sound fine, except when the clarinets get in the upper range of the staff they start to sound pinched and synthesized also. When I have heard classical pieces done with GPO4 they sound great all way round. Is there some adjustments I need to make so they sound more realistic or is that just the way it is? If there are ways to adjust these instruments to sound more natural, where in the manual or online can I find that information. Thanks.

Re: GPO4 Insturment Sounds - HELP

Hello hdsjr55,

First, a very warm welcome to our forums.

I also have Finale 2011 and the full GPO4. I've, very quickly, thrown together a brief sample using the full GPO4 clarinet, trumpet and trombone solo instruments. This clip is straight from Finale. Is this any different to the kind of sounds you have with your setup?

Finale 2011 Clarinet, Trumpet and Trombone Sample Sounds.

The Finale set of Garritan instruments are taken from the full GPO4 so are the same quality. If the sounds you are experiencing are any worse than my samples then, as a starting point, I would suggest taking a look at your headphones/speakers and possibly your sound card/midi interface.

Quote Originally Posted by hdsjr55 View Post
    When I have heard classical pieces done with GPO4 they sound great all way round. Is there some adjustments I need to make so they sound more realistic or is that just the way it is? If there are ways to adjust these instruments to sound more natural, where in the manual or online can I find that information. Thanks.
    To achieve the sounds of the tracks heard on the Garritan samples page, the various polished forum contests entries and the Christmas CDs for example, involves a lot of time and work.

Yes, there are ways to work with the tools Gary has provided us. Whilst a few members do work exclusively within Finale using quite detailed score markings, for most of us, this is undertaken in sequencers such as Sonar or Cubase. I prepare most of my scores in Finale then move across to Sonar to craft my performances.

There is a learning curve involved and there are tutorials available. In this context, someone wrote, 'MIDI is your friend'. This is the key to crafting perormances using the tools Gary has provided.

Please let me know how the sounds compare to my file and good luck.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Michael,

Thank you for your response to my post. I listened to the instrument demo you sent me and it sounds better than mine do. I do not have the sequencers you mentioned, I only have GPO4 and Finale. If I understand you correctly, GPO4 (I assume you mean the Aria Player) can be used to tweak the sounds of the instruments to get the better quality timbre desired, but that it will take time and work (ie. a particular learning curve). Am I understanding you correctly?

Thank you again for your response. It is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Hello Dave,

Michael,

Thank you for your response to my post. I listened to the instrument demo you sent me and it sounds better than mine do.
    As a matter of interest, have you tried installing your full GPO4? It shouldn't really make any difference as the patches bundled with Finale 2011 are from the full GPO. The sounds should be the same.

I would suggest installing the full GPO4 and see what happens. When you install the full GPO4, the necessary files to enable full integration with Finale should be installed automatically..

I do not have the sequencers you mentioned, I only have GPO4 and Finale. If I understand you correctly, GPO4 (I assume you mean the Aria Player) can be used to tweak the sounds of the instruments to get the better quality timbre desired, but that it will take time and work (ie. a particular learning curve). Am I understanding you correctly?

Thank you again for your response. It is greatly appreciated.

Dave
    Although Aria does have some controls this isn't quite the picture. The key to crafting a performance is an understanding of MIDI and MIDI controllers. Through this we have virtually unlimited control over the sound we want. You become the 'conductor' or the 'Musical Director' teasing the performance you want from your musicians.

The function of Aria is to provide us with the instruments and the ability to use these instruments within Finale and other sequencers. The changing and varying performance aspects are all achieved through controlling and varying MIDI data within your sequencer or notation editor. These include, but are not limited to, the full range of articulations such as staccato, spiccato, legato, martele, detache, ect. Then, there's modifications of tempo and intensity of sound ranging from a ppp to fff and anything in between including crescendos and decrescendos. Then there's velocity and aftertouch. Hence the term, "MIDI is your friend".

In the case of Finale, presently, MIDI data is managed through score markings and the ability to edit the score markings. In the case of sequencers we have direct access to the raw data.

As I mentioned in my original reply, some members do work entirely from Finale and their scores would have very detailed markings. At this stage I would suggest that it's not essential to have a sequencer to provide a good sounding score but you will need a pretty good knowledge of working with Finale.

However, it will be interesting to find out what's going on with the sounds you are getting. I think resolving this has to be your starting point. It will be interesting to see if installing your full GPO4 helps with this.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    ... When you install the full GPO4, the necessary files to enable full integration with Finale should be installed automatically..
    "Should" is the operative word. When I installed Finale and GPO4 on a new computer the installation process failed to copy the file gpofull4instrument.txt. This problem is probably dependent on your configuration and operating system (and perhaps whether or not you are me ).

If this file does not automatically get installed you can have someone here or on the Finale forum send you the file - manual installation of the file works fine. Location of the file depends on your operating system.

Pat

I have the same problem, where can I get the gpofull4instrument.txt file so that I can install it?
    -Marcus

Go Back to forum