• Register
  • Help

Topic: Concerto for Springtime (Sirulnikoff) with video lyrics

Share/Bookmark

Concerto for Springtime (Sirulnikoff) with video lyrics

Hi All,

This posting is the result of an idea I got from Theo when he posted his 'Queen of the Night' karaoke.

I've posted this piece before, but I realized that without the text going right along with the music, some of the sense of it would be missing. So I created a video showing the lyrics karaoke style. I've had a lot of technical problems with this: programs freezing, and what have you. Then I was left with a huge file, which I couldn't do anything with, and which I couldn't re-create (it seems the program is no longer available. Then, I was fortunately able to sort it out using QuickTime Pro.

All parts are GJBB except for flute and solo cello, which are GPO.

The piece is for male vocalist and jazz orchestra. The solo cello 'plays' the vocal part. The text is taken from the Latin 13th century ms. of Benedictbeuern (Carmina Burana) in English translation.

Concerto for Springtime

I hope you enjoy it.

Regards,

Jack

Re: Concerto for Springtime (Sirulnikoff) with video lyrics

Yes, I enjoyed it. First the negative bit: I didn't care much for the sound, which I found stiff. In contrast, the song itself is very lively, with its different sections, and some great melodic lines, and progression, and exuberant instrumental middle section. Adding the text really works. It's a good text too, not too sweet, not too contrived, and your work follows it expressively, but the style of the vocal is more classical than jazzy to my ears: Schubert with a dim7. Good work.
    Theo

Hi there Jack!
    How are things in the big smoke?? This was a very ambitious project! I would echo some of Theo's remarks, but to think you wrote this in 1973 - Wow! The words were good - only thing was, I kept reading ahead (my nature) so I kind of flubbed the words/melodic intake, as I watched and listened I was also thinking of a workaround for that. If you could figure out how to reveal the words, either right with the music, or a second before the instrument "sings" the words. I will mention I appreciate the way you did it and realize how difficult it must have been. And, the sentiments expressed in the lyrics are worthy, and in a literary sense, stand above any particular time, unless that time were to be measured in Centuries.

Thanks for sharing!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Hi Theo and SD,

Thanks for listening and for your comments.

Theo - I agree with you about the sound. I try to use CC1 as much as possible, and tempo changes where appropriate. Also, in this case, I used a reverb preset from Cool Edit Pro applied to the dry .wav file. Sometimes I use Sonar, and try something more elaborate. When I look at what Dan Kury does, it blows my mind. As far as the vocal line is concerned, I was wondering how singable it is - not so much concerned about how jazzy it is. But I'm glad you seemed to like the piece.

SD - the program I used, TunePrompter, pretty much controlled when the words come up. They come up ahead of time based on some sort of calculation. But, of course, the synchronization with the words only starts when the colour of the letters starts changing. That's why I inserted '(instrumental section)' in the lengthy instrumental sections, to delay the appearance of the upcoming words. I suppose I could have inserted a few more of those. The synchronization of the melody to the words isn't perfect either. I was going to redo it, but that's when I started having problems with the programs, so I went with the last file I had. We're having a great summer, weather-wise, as, I imagine, you are too.

Thanks again to both of you for listening, and for your comments.

Best Regards,

Jack

What a neat idea, Jack!

Liked the lyrics, too, by the way.

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi David,

I think it was a comment of yours on the previous posting about the quiet ending, that influenced me to show the lyrics in time with the music. I think it explains the quiet ending, (although it doesn't necessarily make it a better piece).

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Best Regards,

Jack

Go Back to forum