• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: I want those strings

Share/Bookmark

I want those strings

Could someone let us know something about this much expected library?
    How is the beta test going ?
    I don\'t mean secrets being told, but just a little teaser from time to time would be highly apreciate.
    How about new demos ???
    I must say I growing a little tired over the ones I\'ve got.
    Personnaly I want to know about \"fast , light piannissimo long melodic phrases \"
    like in the opening of \" Le Tombeau de Couperin \" by Maurice Ravel.
    Garritan If your Strings are able to play this passage with style, I\'m sure the Lord
    will bless you and all yours as well.
    I personnaly will, be sure !!!

Re: I want those strings

Jericho,
    Gary Garritan has released me to respond to your post.
    The beta testing is now nearing completion. The beta team, which includes composers and musicians from different corners of the world, has completed its review of the beta release- which arrived on 16 CD\'s together with a very nice, hardcopy manual. Our initial reaction was something like, \"Wow\", driven by the superb quality of the samples, the realism, the degree of expressiveness possible, and the unprecedented variety of articulations, all of which are supported by fully chromatic, unique samples.
    The beta release was already advanced and complete enough that it might have been released publicly in that form. However, Garritan has proven himself true to his very single minded, simple objective - to produce a library of unparalleled excellence and playability.

So we now find ourselves reviewing the pre-release version of GigaStrings. The detailed comments of the beta team are being addressed. In the beta phase, we compiled lists of what we thought might be \'must\' fixes, as well as a \'wishlist\' (\'Gosh, it would sure be nice to be able to ....\'). I\'m personally very positively excited to see that as the pre-release library is shipped to us, it contains - in addition to the \'needed\' tweaks - a large number of the wishlist features, some of which were, in my personal opinion, hugely substantial items.

With the pre-release version there are now even more features aimed at articulation variety, musicality, more expressiveness, and ease of musical application. If one has an application - like underscore, for example - where a warmer and more subdued string sound is needed, one now has a new batch of Warm instruments (in addition to the original instruments), where a Gigastudio control slider moves between \'realism\' and \'warmth\'. Have a pizzicato application where sometimes tight timing is needed, but others where you\'d like a \'looser\' sounding string section? There are even pizzicato instruments with selection of \'loose or tight\' under MIDI control.
    There are other exciting developments that stretch the limits of Gigastudio, and go beyond. But I see I\'m already quite longwinded in responding to you, and I need to wind this down.
    Let me summarize by saying that the beta testing is nearly finished- it has proven to be an exceptionally healthy, open and constructive process. And it has turned out to be a process that is taking an already superb library to yet another level. GigaStrings is definitely setting the new standard for sample libraries.

As for your question about demos, I\'ll be sure to bring your request to Gary\'s attention. I suspect there might be some works in progress somewhere on this planet

Regards,
    Trond

[This message has been edited by dnortana (edited 06-27-2001).]

\"WOW\" is an understatement.

Its an amazing library so far and its still in its beta form.

The samples are beautiful. The programming is amazing. The Feature set is uncomparible to anything out there.

Ths library is VERY inspiring to sit and even just \"play\".

Its going to be well worth the wait.

As for demos I\'m sure, like Trond said, there are some in the works. There are some new advancements and added features that the beta testers asked for (Gary and Tom have been truely amazing on this front and STILL they managed to surprise us with new features we didn\'t ask for). When they are all implimented, I believe that would be the time to start showing what one can do with the library. We are working with the betas, and I am definitely happy with what this library is doing for my music, but to post demos that \"focus\" on the this library the feature set needs to be solidified before anyone \"really\" gets into doing them.

The library has changed quite a bit for the better during the beta testing period, which is quite amazing because in its original beta form it far more comprehensive and amazing than MANY libraries out there.

ok...I\'m feeling like a blubbering idiot now...it is quite nice to praise this thing publically now tho. It was quite difficult to keep inside the way I thought about this library.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Well,

as another beta tester I can only second (and third, and fourth..) the above comments.

GigaStrings is, by far, the most complete, realistic and playable strings sample library ever created. Gary and co. did not just raise the bar, they took it into the stratosphere.

A-

PS: no one has mentioned this yet, but did you know that GigaStrings comes with a detailed, informative, PRINTED manual? Can you believe it?

--------
    Andrea G. Pessino (not female, just Italian)
    Blizzard Entertainment

apessino@blizzard.com

Since the library is so large, has Gary thought about selling individual CDs of say \"Bass Ensembles\", \"Violin Ensembles\", \"Cello Ensembles\", etc. or is he just going to sell the entire CD set for 1000 bucks?

PatS

Reread everything above (and below) my post. But get a mop first: You\'re drooling! And you should. This library is hands down the BEST orchestral string library out there. Yell it out the window: the BEST!!! Of course, if you\'re a Prince Esterhazy, just hire a bunch of professional musicians and perhaps a court composer (is that Haydn guy still around?). Otherwise, buy this library. It\'s second only to a live string orchestra--a first rate one, that is.

BTW, last December I was prepared to buy another library until I came across Gary\'s web site (www.harps.com), which at the time had a page briefly describing his GigaStrings library. I told myself to wait until his library came out. One of the best decisions of my life!

Finally, Gary and Tom are fantastic. Their devotion to this library is inspiring. They listen to everything we have to say, and, as noted above, they even surprise us with great new features. No doubt, they have approached this project from its inception with a high degree of intelligence and musicality. They are a rare talent. Rest assured you will receive the best support imaginable.

Pat

[This message has been edited by PatS (edited 07-01-2001).]

Here\'s another echo of the echoes - this is one insanely great library. It doesn\'t do it justice to say it\'s \"better\" than the existing string libraries; it\'s in a whole different class. Incredible detail, e.g. separate gigs for 1st and 2nd violin sections (plus violins combined as well). Lots of useful specialized sounds, e.g. col legno (tight or loose, like the pizzicato!), harmonics, \"Bartok\" pizzicato, etc. Something that\'s incredibly useful is the full string orchestra gig, which gives you a \"lighter\" version of the whole string section - good for quickly sketching out ideas with a smaller memory footprint, but still with a lot of the realism and expressiveness of the full library.

Yep, this is a library to drool over. It will be worth the wait. Previously I used to dread putting the strings into my pieces, because the string libraries were always the weakest and I knew I\'d have mountains of work ahead of me to make them sound even halfway decent. Now the strings are the most fun part!

This is the first string library that I can actually do slow, fast and medium speed pieces as it has the variety of articulations that are missing in the other libraries. I am able to record all string sections without having to do layering with other libraries. The final version is going to be awesome! This library is definitely worth the wait and more!

Well, alright then !!!
    I\'m really really happy to hear all this, as you can imagine.
    It might help a few out there to convince their family, this is the best way to spend a 1000$.
    My folks already know that it\'s going to be strings for breakfast , lunch& dinner.
    But then It\'s worth it without a possible doubt.
    Actually it\'s quite cheap compare to some.
    Any idea of a date of availability yet ?
    BTW I must say I\'m very impressed by the silence you managed to keep for a few weeks.
    It\'s a very good thing to keep a secret when asked to.
    Bless you all

Well, alright then !!!
    I\'m really really happy to hear all this, as you can imagine.
    It might help a few out there to convince their family, this is the best way to spend a 1000$.
    My folks already know that it\'s going to be strings for breakfast , lunch& dinner.
    But then It\'s worth it without a possible doubt.
    Actually it\'s quite cheap compare to some.
    Any idea of a date of availability yet ?
    BTW I must say I\'m very impressed by the silence you managed to keep for a few weeks.
    It\'s a very good thing to keep a secret when asked to.
    Bless you all

Go Back to forum