• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIR SE demo - Copland's Appachian Spring - suite for 13 instruments

Share/Bookmark

MIR SE demo - Copland's Appalachian Spring - suite for 13 instruments

This is my performance of Copland's Appalachian Spring. It is the versioin Copland originally composed for the Martha Graham ballet and features a 13 instrument chamber ochestra.

It's amazing how much Copland squeezes out an orchestra of this small size!

I used VSL woodwinds 1 library for the flute, clarinet and bassoon. The solo strings I and II (muted) libraries for the strings (4 violins, 2 violas, 2 cellos, 1 bass). And the Vienna Imperial for the piano. All mixing and postproduction were done within VSL's new MIR SE.

All comments welcome.

Best wishes,
    Jay

http://vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=1&DemoID=5591

Re: MIR SE demo - Copland's Appachian Spring - suite for 13 instruments

oh how beautiful! it convinced me expressionwise and technically 100%
    thanks for posting this pearl!

Talking Re: MIR SE demo - Copland's Appachian Spring - suite for 13 instruments

Nice work Jay!

I think some of the woodwinds are spread too wide for a real recording, but even that comment is subjective and could depend on how many mics were used, and where they were placed as well as how they were mixed in the balance. I am still an Altiverb lover
    I just wish the end had less vibrato,,, just my own picky taste...

The sounds you have access to are lovely, and your sensitivity is great too!!
    Now if only VSL would figure out a way to make their libraries playable, instead of spending a month creating key-switches every three notes. I know that's easier said than done,but when I recently watched the new videos of the new player VSL has, it was enough to give any half normal person a headache,, this of course is no reflection on you. And here I thought I had patience I knew you had my patience beat with The Rite of Spring.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post

Now if only VSL would figure out a way to make their libraries playable, instead of spending a month creating key-switches every three notes.

Dan
    That's sort of thing is easy when:

1) You use the right sequencer
    2) You have a big template
    3) You send some time setting up all instruments with the same keyswitches.

With my set-up I can put many KS in each bar without wasting much time, and some of it I do on the fly, along with other controllers.

D

Daryl, I use Digital Performer which is perhaps the most efficient and capable sequencers available.

Dan

Nice Jay. I can say "as usual", but you get that everywhere. I still like the long-ago Copland clarinet thing best of everything you've ever done.

Do you wing it through these things without a tempo map? If so, what do you use as a timing reference to hold the feel of an entire piece together from beginning to end while you're building the tracks ?

I know you don't usually comment on stuff you don't make, but do you think the Solo Strings + extended are a good way to approach a mockup like this ? I'm thinking of getting those next-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohSrY6DOA2I

Posted this over at vsl but not much comment.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Daryl, I use Digital Performer which is perhaps the most efficient and capable sequencers available.

Dan
    So what is causing you to take such a long time putting in KS? I can do them as fast as I can click with the mouse. can you not do this with DP?

D

Quote Originally Posted by samthsham View Post

Do you wing it through these things without a tempo map? If so, what do you use as a timing reference to hold the feel of an entire piece together from beginning to end while you're building the tracks ?
    I often get my initial timings from favorite performances-- then salt to taste.

Quote Originally Posted by samthsham View Post
    do you think the Solo Strings + extended are a good way to approach a mockup like this ? I'm thinking of getting those next-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohSrY6DOA2I
    Nice string arrangement. Yes, the Solo Strings I package will get you close to this sound. The cliche but true statement however, is that real live string players will get you even closer and will take less time. Depends on the quality of the performance that you need, the time you have to produce it and of course how much money that you have for the project.

Best,
    Jay

Daryl, I think if I had all the VSL instruments I would be fast at putting the keyswitches in, yes, I can mouse them in or play them on the keyboard. Making my original comment that was negative towards VSL's insistence on using a bazillion articulations and perf samples was not a good thing to say here.

I don't want to further continue our discussion here in Jay's topic.

Maybe someday I will have VSL libraries and will not think if them as so cumbersome to use.

Thanks Daryl,
    Dan

Go Back to forum