• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Winners announced in Gary's Orchestral Shootout contest!

Share/Bookmark

Winners announced in Gary's Orchestral Shootout contest!

Here's the new thread at Sonar where Bitflipper and I announced the winners of the big Orchestral Shootout contest.

Winners receive Garritan Libraries of their choice!

THE WINNERS

Randy

Re: Winners announced in Gary's Orchestral Shootout contest!

Oops I didn't notice the songs went past 50. I thought the second player was to sift through them from top to bottum. Duh

Wow.... I came in second.... wasn't expecting that.

I would be very interested to see the vote count!

Congratulations, Michael! - I'll be contacting you by email in the next day or so to make arrangements about your prize.

ome248 - oh dear!-- I'm so sorry you didn't understand there were 72 entries. ---This is the first indication we've had of that problem. --arrrrrgh. Oh well!---it's over now!

Randy

Thanks Randy!

I still think mine was the best, but I'm probably just a little biased. Though, I do think if I could go back and change 1 thing, I would have fixed up the reverb just a bit.

I'll definitely be watching over on the sonar forums to see why people did/didn't vote for me. It will be very interesting (not to mention helpful for future projects) to see what others thought of it.

"...I still think mine was the best..."

Humble as ever, Michael.

Be sure to look at the updated website, still in my signature. Now all 72 pages of production notes are up. Those are very interesting to look through.

We won't be publishing the vote count for each entry, by the way. Too much opportunity for some hurt feelings if we did that. Through the Sonar Forum, you may send a PM to Bitflipper who counted the votes. He could let you know those results privately.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Congratulations, Michael! - I'll be contacting you by email in the next day or so to make arrangements about your prize.

ome248 - oh dear!-- I'm so sorry you didn't understand there were 72 entries. ---This is the first indication we've had of that problem. --arrrrrgh. Oh well!---it's over now!

Randy
    No reason to be sorry. Just me being a doof. I'm just glad my votes didn't effect the competition. I voted
    32,13,14 . Grat to the winners!!!!

Randy

Is there any chance to see all the votes?

BTW - I am sorry for not voting myself (I consider it bad luck to vote when you participate), and even more for not replying your personal email on that, as I have seen it only yesterday. Last week was spent in the country, taking my wife to breath some air, and eventually fighting some field rats in our guest house (no kidding).

To all

As for the winning entries... What bothers me the most, is not the mix, or the realism (or lack of, I would say), but the fact that our attention is not alarmed anymore over performance issues. We know its not orchestra, so we intentionally leave outside basic musical values, which every sane conductor would follow while recording the piece. To name just a few - let each group contribute something in different spots of the cue (Yes, there is a piano in the score ), decide which parts are the most intense, and where the listener should "rest", and try to find reasons for "why is this written like this, or like that" etc....

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Humble as ever, Michael.
    I always think mine is the best, but at the same time I always strongly suspect that I'm the only one who thinks it's the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladzakr View Post

Is there any chance to see all the votes?
    Hello, Vlad - It's great to hear from another contestant here on the contest host's site--Thanks for your post.

Co-coordinator David "Bitflipper" (from the Sonar Forum) and I decided we aren't publishing the final votes. I can say that the votes were very spread out and it was often just a vote or two that put an entry either in the winning slot or not.

Interesting commentary you've posted here, about what you feel is the general lack of detail work in the entries. You're saying you would like each section of the orchestra to have its moment to shine. I understand that wish.

I do want to add that this particular MIDI file of this bombastic piece of music doesn't exactly lend itself to the kind of careful conducting you're talking about. Yes, there's a piano in that file, but I feel that if the piano was ever heard in the tracks, then the balance was wrong. To me the piano is there as a supporting percussive instrument in this MIDI file, intended to only give a bit more bite to the main melody and harmony. The woodwinds are an entire section which I feel also shouldn't ever be heard, just as they aren't often distinctly heard in a live concert. There's no appropriate moment in the track for them to shine. I feel they're present only as support to the strings and brass. There were some entries where the woodwinds stepped way forward for the B section - and that never sounded right to me. The B section is meant to spotlight the strings.

But it's been noted by others that if we wanted to demonstrate all of the parts of an orchestra more equally, we could have chosen a very different kind of piece, something more classical with more variety in it. And that's true, a different MIDI file would have demonstrated all the instruments more individually - But what we decided was that it was important to pick a piece of pop-orchestra music which everyone knows. We felt that would attract more participants - and I think it did.

I really enjoyed your entry, #61 -interesting stuff using the WNI Band for iPhone!

Randy

Go Back to forum