• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ivory II STILL not going to be 64 bit for Mac..

Share/Bookmark

Ivory II STILL not going to be 64 bit for Mac..

I just pre-ordered (it's being shipped in the next few weeks; the non-upgrade version a bit earlier), and was surprised to hear this...I would suggest they at least make this clearer in their promotions (so people aren't surprised!), and give a clearer estimate of when this is coming (since it's been available on the PC side for some time...
    Best -
    - robjohn33

Re: Ivory II STILL not going to be 64 bit for Mac..

It's not going to be 64bit on Mac for the same reason EWQL PLAY is not 64bit on Mac. The reason being - No 64bit iLok driver on Mac.
    This is a real bummer. How is it possible that this long into the 64bit development on Mac, iLok folks still have not released 64bit version of their software. What other projects are they working on?

yeah... just got this same message from Ivory support, and seeing as the 32-bit audio bridge is crashing regularly on me and Ivory is the only 32-bit plug in my live setup... well... this is problematic.

the thing is... and here we're just going to have to recognize this, is that this is partly a technical question (64-bit support for the iLok), but also a BUSINESS question. I've obviously got an iLok, but... I'd prefer a challenge/response system a la Spectrasonics - then the dependency on the iLok folks goes away...

Isn't there some kind of "hybrid" solution workable, a 64-bit plug and some kind of IAC to the 32-bit iLok world? It's only there for authentication purposes...

Michael

It's very difficult to tell who is telling the whole story. I have been very frustrated that EastWest has not made Play available for Mac in 64bit and now Ivory II not being 64bit on Mac is VERY disappointing.

Both companies claim to be waiting on Pace 64bit drivers, so I wrote Pace and got this reply:

Dear Patrick,

We have provided a solution to our customers concerning the topic you discuss. If they have chosen not to use that solution, we cannot force them.

I hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Andrew Kirk
    Vice President
    PACE Anti-Piracy, Inc.

So now i have no idea whose telling the truth and who's passing the buck...ARGHH. I wish we could get a straight answer on when us Mac users are going to see Pace protected apps finally be 64bit.

Take a look around a the various companies that offer 64 bit products for Mac .....Take a closer look and see if they use Pace iLok .... Find a product that runs on a Mac, and uses Pace iLok that will run in 64 bit .... This will answer your question ....I can understand companies not wanting to get ripped off for their hard work , but I continue to boycott companies that use it .....They all claim that they are able to do much better keeping their products safe, and they are making more money doing so , and I guess I am part of the so called few who will not be buying their products .... I guess they're happy with that ....?????..... Jim

Time to dump the MAC and switch to the PC gentlemen. 64-bit- no problem! Come to the PC side of The Force........if you only knew the power of the PC.

Looking forward to getting my upgrade to Ivory II.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

so ilock does support 64 bit windows but not 64 bit OSX?
    That sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by quantum7 View Post
    Time to dump the MAC and switch to the PC gentlemen. 64-bit- no problem! Come to the PC side of The Force........if you only knew the power of the PC.
    You know, lately...nah...but after having 2 system drives fail (laptop AND desktop) even though it has nothing to do with OSX, it does make me think...but DP AND Logic are Mac only so, so much for that thought.

I’ve gone over this 64-bit iLok issue in my head many times (reading through posts on other forums as well), and can only deduce that iLok has these companies both legally, and technologically, by the ‘nads.

I’m only speculating, of course, but the curiously similar response from Synthogy - on the heels of a brand new release - to that of EW during the past several months, AND this being about the third time I’ve read one of these “official” responses from iLok, all suggest that the following may be at work:

1). iLok copy protection itself (still) presents undesirable and/or unreasonable technical challenges to those developing for 64-bit mac (for which Apple itself may be partly to blame, at least in terms its own roll-out of 64-bit). iLok's own response indicates they are satisfied with the solutions they provide; this stands in sharp contrast to what their clients are saying.
    2). Therefore, a legally-binding, non-disclosure agreement may prevent iLok clients from discussing the specifics of this (or any arrangements) publicly. Again this is pure speculation on my part, but consider the “ask iLok,” comments we have seen from (at least) two companies, tempered by their assurances that “it’s coming soon,” while no specific explanations have yet to be provided. All we hear is the blame.
    3). Maybe iLok is demanding an unreasonable fee (which again, cannot be publicly disclosed)?

Maybe some of you have your own theories...

Regardless, to what extent any of these companies are beholden to stay with iLok copy protection technology is where I take issue, and I share Synthut’s sentiment, mainly that mac-users have become the pawns in this drama. After all, we can point to any number of companies we love - and whose products we use - who provide 64-bit support for mac users right now.

But to put all this in perspective, I think we are also seeing the last “burps” of a notably late 64-bit transition on the mac side, of which the casualties include everyone from iLok, to their clients, to the musicians who depend on these products.

I have no doubt that this will be a non-issue in the near future, but right now, it does seem a bit “2008” that any brand-new product release is not 64-bit capable across all platforms.

pax

I spend a considerable amount of money on computer, and musical gear every year ....I average a couple of new computers about every 2 yrs, and computer programs on a regular basis .... A few years back I bought my first PC to run Gigastudio .....Now they're gone !!...I ran a raid setup using a built in Promise controller that basically brought my PC system to it's knees, not to mention all the "Plug and PRAY " programs that did not play well with others .... Not trying to start a war here, just not wanting to go down the PC hiway anymore ... There are enough companies out there that make quality products whereby iLok is not needed ....I will deal with those companies .... The companies that use iLok don't need my business or they would not be using it .... I never liked it before , and I like it even less now ... I keep a regular list of companies that have done me wrong in the past , and I also keep a list of companies using iLok ....If I see any of these companies advertising something , I pass it right on by ...I won't waste my time ..... Being creative on a regular basis is hard enough without having technology rearing it's ugly head ......Jim

Go Back to forum