• Register
  • Help

Topic: Samples not loading into Aria player (nor older version of Garritan instruments)

Share/Bookmark

Samples not loading into Aria player (nor older version of Garritan instruments)

I know that I'll need to update my system OS in order to install Finale 2011 (I'm still using 10.4). I went ahead and installed the Aria player and instrument samples, though, so that I could use the new sounds - in particular, the steel drums (since that is my instrument and I am an arranger for steel bands). My enthusiasm was dashed, however, as I discovered that not only do most of the steel drum samples not load, neither do select other samples that were in use (in the same working file!), such as the triangle in the Basic Orchestral Percussion set (and this isn't even using the Aria player set - it is from the previous version of Garritan Instruments for Finale. Other sound sets still load just fine; so far all I've noticed missing is the triangle and the steel drums, but I'm sure it has affected more. I should also point out that the steel drums don't load into the standalone version of Aria Player, either! What gives here? Any ideas?

Re: Samples not loading into Aria player (nor older version of Garritan instruments)

More: I installed the entire package using the install disk. Aria Player does work without Finale, except for loading some of the aforementioned samples. Upon inspection of the Garritan Instruments for Finale folder (re-installed today just to be sure), there is a Steel Drums.sfz/014/Programs. But in the Samples folder, there is no "036BsStlDrumsPs2fLow...etc" (one of the samples missing, according to the error message I get when trying to load).

I noticed that the install took a remarkably short time, considering the amount of data that was supposed to be installed.

Re: Samples not loading into Aria player (nor older version of Garritan instruments)

Uh...hello...anybody here? 75 views and NOBODY has any advice for me? Crikey...

This appears to possibly be an issue that MakeMusic should be supporting as it has to do with the Finale install. Have you posted on their forum?

Jim

Yes, I have posted this in the Finale forum as well, But it does also apply to this Forum, since the standalone Aria PLayer has the same issue. It works, but not all the samples load.

Thanks.

Hi Two Trees and Welcome to the Forum!

Sorry I didn't check in with you until now. I just recently upgraded to Finale 2011 and was reading through the problems you're having. I tried both the triangle and the steel drum provided with Finale 2011 and here's what I got:

http://www.box.net/shared/yyc7ab9ssu

I didn't run into any problems with the sounds in either Finale or with Aria as a stand-alone. I am running a PC with Windows 7. I haven't run into any problems running any samples with Aria. I'm beginning to think it may be a Mac problem. I would definitely upgrade to Snow Leopard and make sure you have at least 1 gig of ram. I have an old Mac which I need to upgrade as well so I can run Digital Performer.

I hope this helps!

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Gary:

Thanks for the research. Since everything else otherwise is working, I didn't figure this was an OS system problem, but I suppose that is worth looking into. I'll up to 10.5 and install the 2011 Finale and see if it makes a difference.

After hearing the steel pan samples from your example, I'm no longer in that much of a hurry for them (we actual pan players are pretty tough customers in this regard!); they might have at least found instruments that were in tune!

Thanks again for your input.

-Gary Gibson

It's also possible that something went haywire in the installation and some of the samples just weren't installed. Something similar happened to me (it was a flute sample if I remember right). I fixed it by doing the installation over, copying only the sample files this time.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks, Dan. Yeah, I tried re-installing the whole thing, to no avail. I do suspect that the installer is simply not doing its job, though, because it really doesn't take as long as it should to load that much data. I wish there was a way for me to just re-install the samples, but the installer doesn't give me that option. Maybe I'll try to get another disk from makemusic and try again.

Mystery solved

The installer over-wrote the existing Garritan Instruments for Finale folder, and only did a partial install due to the operating system issue. Moral of the lesson: if you haven't upped to Leopard yet, do NOT try installing the instruments for Finale 2011 to use in 2010, or you'll run into the same problem!

Go Back to forum