• Register
  • Help

Topic: Collection of National Anthymns

Share/Bookmark

Collection of National Anthymns

Last edited by garymosse; 09-05-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: add song

Re: Collection of National Anthymns

The German one is pretty good, and powerful. I like how you embellish the lead voice with a few accents. The introduction is a bit too abrupt: it immediately starts with the most laden line of the anthem ("Germany, Germany over all").

The introduction to the English anthem is more of an introduction. It also sounds good. More subdued than the German one. There is one thing I missed: at 0:18 and 0:54 most arrangements play a very typical descending bass line to fill up the gap.

The French one has a sound somewhere in between, which is appropriate. I like the harmony in it very much, it's just that little bit more adventurous than usual. I also liked the intermezzo, at least there is a part that I've never heard before.

And good rendering too.
    Theo

Wink Re: Collection of National Anthymns

@ garymosse

Greate Arragments. The German could have been a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    The introduction is a bit too abrupt: it immediately starts with the most laden line of the anthem ("Germany, Germany over all").
    We don't sing this verse anymore.
    It makes no sense anymore.

Post Re: Collection of National Anthymns

I know that line has changed. I should have made that clear. I imagined a brass band (or how do you call that in English) playing, and starting with these notes, and had this association. Perhaps because it's such a sweet, subtle phrase in Haydn's Kaiserquartett.
    Theo

Thanks for listening, Theo.
    This is my take on these Songs while respecting the nature of a County's anthem.
    Sometimes not hearing a common portion can be a surprise. My newly posted Star Spangled Banner has a different counter melody. My goal is to make it seem like it fit in all along.

Thanks for listening, Jannus. I appreciate your comments. I think Haydn
    had no political agenda in mind when he composed this music.
    How difficult it must have been to pick this song when choosing from other great German Composers like Beethoven, Brahmns, etc.
    Gary

I think Haydn certainly had a political agenda. He was quite accomplished in matters of the court. But his agenda was pleasing his patrons, nothing worse. The three verse text was set later, and the first verse was chosen as the anthem early in the 20th century. It took its ghastly meaning after being misused for propaganda. However, I think keeping the melody but changing from the first to the third verse after WWII was a mistake: they should have taken the second one
    German women, German loyalty,
    German wine and German song
    Theo

Hi Gary;
    Of your renderings, I liked the German and French the best, followed by the other two!
    National Anthems are usually Marches, meant to stir the patriotic heart
    I like working on National Anthems too. I wrote a song back in 1982, and sang it! - Yikes!, called "The War that Finally Came", Yikes again.
    In the beginning of the song, I had created an instrumental medley of National Anthems, starting with USA, then France, Britain and finally, Russia (USSR). I did my own voice-over of a dialogue between two US service personnel, who are in ICBM bunkers, and manning anti-missile defenses, discussing incoming and out-going targets. And that's just the beginning of the song!
    Oh well, we still have more than just fear, to fear.

Good work on these!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Thanks for listening, SD.
    I was in a small Navy Unit Band in 59-61 as we visited 38 different Countries in South America & Africa. Some arrangements of their National Anthems were really boring to play, while others had a hint of real interest.
    Your music effort sounded inventive.
    Gary

Go Back to forum