• Register
  • Help

Topic: Puck and Friends

Share/Bookmark

Puck and Friends

Short organ work. Could be considered as two pieces if played ignoring the many staccato marks. For better listening, play the mp3, made using GPO organ.

Puck and Friends

Richard

Re: Puck and Friends

Sorry for the late reply (busy, guests, that sort of thing...)

It's jumpy, a bit quirky, and has a fresh dislike of tonality. Perhaps the legato version gives different impression, but this has a bouncy feel, and I think it is even a fugue (or am I mistaken?). The middle section is a bit heavy for me, it seems to be stuck in the same "tonality" a bit too long, but overall it's a jolly theme with a dark undercurrent. I like the fast run, and how it resolves to an almost tonal chord at the end. The tempo is almost break-neck. Made me wonder if the middle part wouldn't sound clearer at a lower tempo?

Anyway, a vigorous piece presented with youthful energy. Does the title have any relation to the work?
    Theo

Well, I did consider slowing the tempo, and I would consider it within the rights of the performer to slow it if it seems suitable. The relationship to the title is simply a reference to the general characteristics I would expect Puck to have and which the music has. I admit to being well pleased with the ending. Thanks for your comments.

Richard

It refers to Shakespeare? I hadn't caught that, but it makes sense. Your work is a bit mischievous, indeed. What fool this mortal is...
    Theo

Interesting and exceedingly complex, on the overall. The superimposition of one theme or melodic line upon another, creates an impression of revved-up Baroque, as if old Bach himself was one day caught in a Psychedelic Downpour! With No Umbrella!!!!

Quite entertaining!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Interesting and exceedingly complex, on the overall. The superimposition of one theme or melodic line upon another, creates an impression of revved-up Baroque, as if old Bach himself was one day caught in a Psychedelic Downpour! With No Umbrella!!!!

Quite entertaining!

Best regards,
    sd cisco
    Well, yes, indeed it is complex, but that often seems to happen in my compositions. Your description is right on, describes my mood and intentions. I am pleased that was noticed, both by you and FLWrd. I am always pleased when my intentions are clear, which is not always the case!

Richard

Go Back to forum