• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Orchestral Challenge No 25

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Orchestral Challenge No 25

Orchestral Challenge No 25.

Here is a link to the theme for the next challenge in notation :http://www.box.net/shared/cjdr8jo0xt
    and a link to a midi file too: http://www.box.net/shared/qzjx363no9

The idea this time is that you need to write an opening phrase that leads into
    the supplied 'answering ' phrase which can then be developed as you wish.

I've tried to keep it short and hopefully neutral so that it can lend itself to
    many styles of music. I hope so anyway.

As is usual, I think, there's about 6 -7 weeks before the entries have to be in. I'm hoping Sean will kindly oversee the submission of entries for us again, and would let us know a suitable deadline date ?

I hope lot's of you are inspired enough to have a go and I look forward to hearing all the enteries

Best of luck
    Ian

Re: Garritan Orchestral Challenge No 25

Thanks Ian, I am looking forward to this.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Post Re: Garritan Orchestral Challenge No 25

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Thanks Ian, I am looking forward to this.
    Great, thanks for your post Rich, much appreciated.

I hope lots of people find some time and inspiration to compose an entry.
    It's a brilliant way to learn about using GPO, so please, if you've ever thought
    you'd like to take part,but for one reason or another, never have, this is
    your chance!

good luck!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Harsmith View Post
    Great, thanks for your post Rich, much appreciated.

I hope lots of people find some time and inspiration to compose an entry.
    It's a brilliant way to learn about using GPO, so please, if you've ever thought
    you'd like to take part,but for one reason or another, never have, this is
    your chance!

good luck!

Ian
    Great, Ian - So glad to see you got this going. And you're so right that the Orchestral Challenge can be a great way to have fun learning more about GPO. Speaking from experience, I'll add that it's also a great change-of-pace project for those already proficient with GPO.

I do have a concern - You're right that we've been having the deadline 6 or 7 weeks after the posting. But I think it's very possible that having such a long stretch of time, then several more weeks of voting, is a factor in having a low rate of participation. These things drag on for months and grow cobwebs on them.

I think people tend to forget about the Challenge, or lost interest. People who plan on submitting an entry don't have that extra bit of pressure which can spur on productivity when there's such a distant deadline.

Could we perhaps weigh in on this? I strongly recommend that we cut the prep time in half. Give people 3 weeks. If they really want to join in, most anyone could work the time in to put together a 2 or 3 minute piece in that period. I feel the result could be more entries, and more interest when the voting comes around.

Feedback?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I strongly recommend that we cut the prep time in half. Give people 3 weeks. If they really want to join in, most anyone could work the time in to put together a 2 or 3 minute piece in that period. I feel the result could be more entries, and more interest when the voting comes around.
    Thanks for your post Randy. I think a shorter time might also be a way to go. However, from personal experience, I'd suggest 4 weeks rather than 3. I'm not always free to give the challenge my full attention, and it can take me a week or two to get my ideas together, before I starting laying tracks etc. I'd be very interested though to hear what others think about this too. Let us know....

Thanks again
    Ian

Just set a date and leave it at that with no extensions or alterations. It is just a good example to set. 4 weeks sounds good to me.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks Rich,

Seems the discussion has gotten as far as it's going- so - I've spoken with Sean,
    who has happily agreed to host this round of the challenge once again, (thanks Sean), and entries have to be with him by midnight on Monday 4th October. That's 4 weeks from the posting of the theme.

Looking forward to hearing the entries.

Good luck
    Ian

Bumping up this event which is really at the heart of why this Forum exists. Hope lots of folks are working on this excellent Challenge.

Randy

Go Back to forum