• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio 3 and Windows 7... any thoughts?

Share/Bookmark

Question Gigastudio 3 and Windows 7... any thoughts?

Hey y'all,

I realize that "Gigastudio" is now considered passe' especially since Tascam gave up on it's development and discontinued it's production .... but I was just curious if Gigastudio 3 would work on a brand new computer running Windows 7.

Anyone had any experience with it?

Thanks,

Gary

Re: Gigastudio 3 and Windows 7... any thoughts?

As long as it's the 32 bit version.

64 bit will work if you have an RME card with GSIF 2.1.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post
    64 bit will work if you have an RME card with GSIF 2.1.
    It would run on windows 7 if you have an RME right but you still have to re-install your OS first befor you do it. In order for the program to work

Quote Originally Posted by sharonmyers View Post
    Gigastudio 3 and windows 7 are the good combination. I like the windows 7 is the best to use it. It is really faster than previous windows operating system. I am thinking to movie to the windows 7 64-bit.
    I'm another dinosaur wishing run Gigastudio 3 under Windows 7 (my XP system finally died). I installed GS3 but I get an error message stating "..The system drivers for GigaStudio are not installed....". I using the same PC with the RME DIGI9636 soundcard driver V2.0.2.1. I have tried reinstalling GS as well as the RME drivers multiple times but the result is the same. GS will not initialize and I get the "...GigaStudio 3 has stopped working message..."

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Trex
    Last edited by tbwnm; 05-18-2011 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Added more detail

Quote Originally Posted by tbwnm View Post
    I'm another dinosaur wishing run Gigastudio 3 under Windows 7 (my XP system finally died). I installed GS3 but I get an error message stating "..The system drivers for GigaStudio are not installed....". I using the same PC with the RME DIGI9636 soundcard driver V2.0.2.1. I have tried reinstalling GS as well as the RME drivers multiple times but the result is the same. GS will not initialize and I get the "...GigaStudio 3 has stopped working message..."

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Trex
    It was designed to run on both versions of XP. GS4 would have worked.

Hi! I just stumbled upon this thread and could use some advice. I have been using Gigastudio v2.5 in my home studio for years (Delta 410 soundcard, Power Tracks Pro sequencer). My 8 yr old computer, running Windows XP, finally died. I had planned to buy a fast new computer with Windows 7, and pick things up right where I left off. It was only when I did some web searches that I learned there may be compatibility issues with Gigastudio and Windows 7.

Is this the case? I'm only interested in accessing the many sound libraries that I currently own. If there are compatibility issues, would buying a new computer that has Windows 7 Professional (which allows simultaneous XP mode) solve the problem? Do I need a different sound card? Could I purchase Soundlib's G-Player and sidestep any potential problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by gwise29 View Post
    Hi! I just stumbled upon this thread and could use some advice. I have been using Gigastudio v2.5 in my home studio for years (Delta 410 soundcard, Power Tracks Pro sequencer). My 8 yr old computer, running Windows XP, finally died. I had planned to buy a fast new computer with Windows 7, and pick things up right where I left off. It was only when I did some web searches that I learned there may be compatibility issues with Gigastudio and Windows 7.

Is this the case? I'm only interested in accessing the many sound libraries that I currently own. If there are compatibility issues, would buying a new computer that has Windows 7 Professional (which allows simultaneous XP mode) solve the problem? Do I need a different sound card? Could I purchase Soundlib's G-Player and sidestep any potential problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Unfortunately yes, there are compatibility issues. GS2.5 is pretty much guaranteed not to work properly on W7, and GS3 needs more than a bit of luck. Neither were developed or modified at the time Vista came in, only GS4 may have taken Vista into account, but Tascam's recommendation for GS4 was to use it on XP 64 bit.

There are various pages out on the internet that cover people's experiences, so a bit of Googling will help.

Your option of using GPlayer is probably the best one, if you want to retain the W7 install on one PC.

Trying to use XP mode on W7 is likely to fail, as GS uses kernel mode drivers to do its stuff and I doubt they would work in a virtual machine.

Another option is to 'downgrade' to a normal WXP install, but make sure it's the 32 bit version. GS3 and prior don't have 64 bit drivers to the best of my knowledge.

Another alternative is to keep your W7 machine, and build a 'cheap' 32 bit WXP PC that you install only GS on, but uses current motherboard, CPU, memory, etc. You then control it via MIDI directly or via network using something like MidiOverLan, and route the GS PC's audio out back to your W7 machine for recording.

It's been anounced that Aria Player will soon suport Giga libraries...

Ian J --

Thanks for the detailed response. You saved me from a major headache... I think I'll go the G-Player route.

Go Back to forum