• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dual 2.66Ghz 12-core or Single 3.33Ghz 6-core ?

Share/Bookmark

Dual 2.66Ghz 12-core or Single 3.33Ghz 6-core ?

Hi,

I'm running a recording setup based on Cubase 4.0 (upgrading soon to 5.5). My V.I.s are Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Trilian and RMX as well as Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 and Kontakt 2.0 (upgrading soon to 4.0).
    I've decided it's time to upgrade my 6 year-old Mac Dual G5. I intend ordering a Dual 2.66Ghz 12-core (hopefully to remain 'future proof' for a while), but have heard a few whisperings suggesting a 3.33Ghz Single 6-core might be a better choice.
    My main concern is running the Spectrasonics V.I.s efficiently. Omnisphere in particular struggles a bit with my old G5 and, of course, the more recent Omni and Trilian updates are incompatible.
    I would be grateful for any opinions from new Mac users, and if anyone from the Spectrasonics team is listening I would particularly appreciate their advice.

Thanks in anticipation,
    Hywel

Re: Dual 2.66Ghz 12-core or Single 3.33Ghz 6-core ?

Hi,

Actually looking into a new Mac as well...so I am curious...however...the specs you discribe don't seem to be available in the apple store.

Quote Originally Posted by Roshi Ai View Post
    Hi,

Actually looking into a new Mac as well...so I am curious...however...the specs you discribe don't seem to be available in the apple store.
    Thanks for responding!
    For some reason the 3.33Ghz 6-core is listed as an option in the Quad Core section (??)

Regards,
    Hywel

I'm not an expert but if it were me I would go for the 3.33 6-core. I always go with the fastest cpu speed. 6 cores will be more than sufficient for Omni work.

I did a quick google and found this...
    http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/...h--macpro.html

That said, if it were me, before I made a final decision I would call Apple and ask to speak to one of the engineers and ask this question. They know the absolute answer. Sales people do not. Its a lot of money and I do not mind calling them to ask these questions and they don't mind answering them.

Coming from the G5 to Intel you're going to feel like you're flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamaiden View Post
    I'm not an expert but if it were me I would go for the 3.33 6-core. I always go with the fastest cpu speed. 6 cores will be more than sufficient for Omni work.

I did a quick google and found this...
    http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/...h--macpro.html

That said, if it were me, before I made a final decision I would call Apple and ask to speak to one of the engineers and ask this question. They know the absolute answer. Sales people do not. Its a lot of money and I do not mind calling them to ask these questions and they don't mind answering them.

Coming from the G5 to Intel you're going to feel like you're flying.
    Thanks very much for reply!
    Your article reference was very interesting and definitely food for thought.
    I'm holding fire on my purchase until the new 27 inch Apple display becomes available (should be later this month) so in the meantime I'll keep my eye open for any new Mac info that appears.

Best wishes,
    Hywel

Yeah...found that configuration...and wasn't able to edit the message in time...

I'll read the article as well by the way.

I am in the same fix. I purchased my G5 Dual just before Mac announced they were switching to Intel chip sets. I am going to purchase the fastest 12 core I can afford. I only have to visit a few more Liquor Stores to see if they would like to donate to my fund raiser.

Now, where did I put my ski mask?

Go Back to forum