• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dan Dean Solo Woods - how long sustains?

Share/Bookmark

Dan Dean Solo Woods - how long sustains?

I tried the Dan Dean Solo Strings and the sustains were way too short for my liking. Is it the same with the woodwinds? I\'d like to be able to play slooooooooooow clarinet and flute passages with maybe 7-10 sec long notes - possible?

Re: Dan Dean Solo Woods - how long sustains?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    I tried the Dan Dean Solo Strings and the sustains were way too short for my liking. Is it the same with the woodwinds? I\'d like to be able to play slooooooooooow clarinet and flute passages with maybe 7-10 sec long notes - possible?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Simon,

Some of the Clarinet notes sustain out to 25 seconds or longer. The DD Solo Woodwinds were designed to be a Giga product, so I captured each note as long as the players could hold it. The softer they play, the longer the note...the louder they play the shorter the note. Its a flow rate issue.

Thanks,
    Dan Dean
    ddean@halcyon.com

As I understand, the solo strings will be re-released with several dynamic layers and will include a solo contrabass as well.

I noticed with the DD Strings that the notes seemed fairly strong. A second velocity layer with longer softer bows would have been nice. I find that filtering does not seem to work well for softening a solo string sound.
    Also while the attacks on the cello are fine the violin and viola samples take over a second to achieve full intensity, which makes them difficult to use in faster passages.

I suppose if adding looping would add significantly to the cost of the CD, then I would go with non-looped samples, however I don\'t see any harm in adding a nice long crossfade loop at the end of a long giga sample.

Duncan

\"the violin and viola samples take over a second to achieve full intensity, which makes them difficult to use in faster passages.\"

You might be able to edit some of the samples, so that they will have a faster attack. If you have Sound Forge or another good editor, you can zoom close in and remove some \"waves\" (using auto zero-cross) between the first attack and the actual tone. take one \"wave\" at a time and listen to it, before removing another. Sometimes you need to remove from different places so you don\'t remove 2 waves after each other.

Thomas

Dan,
    Can you confirm Esperlad\'s understanding about an updated release of Solo Strings?

I\'m a fan, by the way - in the past, I would\'ve never considered exposing an up front solo violin playing from a sampler. I\'ve got a new piece I just finished where your violin is right out there, very convincingly so. It\'s good enough that I\'m really struggling with the decision of whether or not I need to hire my violin player for the final CD version. Actually, I haven\'t even seen him since I got your CD.

I do second Duncan\'s comments, above.
    Regards,
    Trond.

[This message has been edited by dnortana (edited 06-29-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dnortana:
    Dan,
    Can you confirm Esperlad\'s understanding about an updated release of Solo Strings?

I\'m a fan, by the way - in the past, I would\'ve never considered exposing an up front solo violin playing from a sampler. I\'ve got a new piece I just finished where your violin is right out there, very convincingly so. It\'s good enough that I\'m really struggling with the decision of whether or not I need to hire my violin player for the final CD version. Actually, I haven\'t even seen him since I got your CD.

I do second Duncan\'s comments, above.
    Regards,
    Trond.

[This message has been edited by dnortana (edited 06-29-2001).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am considering doing a new version of the Solo Strings using the same sampling/programming techniques of late with the Dan Dean Solo Woodwinds and upcoming Solo Brass...multi layers, tons of programming features and more articulations. I am not, however going to be doing it next or 2nd in line for the next product.

The Solo Strings were initially created for hardware based samplers, hence the single layers and relatively short bowing times. Things HAD to be kept to a minimum, so this is what drove the first generation product design toward limited length samples. Looping stereo samples is very tricky, which is why I haven\'t offered an upgrade or patch to increase the note lengths. Everything I\'ve tried to use for this purpose hasn\'t passed my ear test.

When we actually create this new product, it will fit the footprint of out latest products...plenty of bows per note, lots of articulations, cool new programming features and so forth. I\'ll also include Bass and possibly a 2nd Violin for realistic sounding Quartets, etc.

It will be a while before this project hits the drawing board.

As an aside to another post, I\'ve been getting amazing feedback from users of the woodwinds. Just the other day, I heard that James Newton Howard used them almost exclusively in his latest feature film. To quote them, \"They have replaced many of our woodwind sounds. It is a fantastic collection.\"

Later,
    DD

Dan,
    Thanks very much for the response.
    Regards,
    Trond.

Go Back to forum