• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: junk yard

junk yard

this general discussion page has turned into a junkyard full of stuff that has nothing to do with music

Just about every time I start to click on the NS shortcut... I don't.

I wonder how many other folks do the same thing.

delete this if you like administrators

Re: junk yard

and who's turned into Mr. Grumpy-pants today?

So this means you DON'T want me to post a link to a youtube vid that shows cute puppies beating the St. Louis Cardinals in a best-of-seven series? They're really cute...

I think of the General Discussion page as the hallway outside the classroom - we chat, make jokes, ask questions before we go into the "real" rooms for the musical discussions.

But your point is taken. No puppies.
    Ron Pearl

Sorry you feel that way Dan, particularly if I'm one of the ones contributing to your displeasure!

Personally, I'm mainly trying to focus on completing the rendering at least one GPOpus to an acceptable standard largely applying the voluminous advice you have provided through the forum ... so you're the last person I'd want to annoy.

A couple of the threads seem to be an interesting diversion for a number of us ... while not strictly musical, for me at least they are proving one way of staying involved and getting to know a little about some other highly musical people on the forum ... without involving too much time consuming (and potentially disasterous!) conversation - though I can appreciate they're not to everyone's taste.

I do see your point that such threads take up most of the space on the General Discussion page ... I find the easiest way to keep up to date with the forum in general is by using the "Today's Posts" link on the main forum page (though this shows the latest updates for non-Garritan as well as Garritan related threads - arggh! there's another contentious subject), where these threads are in the minority and easily ignored, I hope ...

... perhaps that approach would work for you too?

(PS for a minute there I was expecting to listen to DPDan's first percussion work: "Junk Yard")

Well...I started one of these threads because I missed the daily levity. This forum has always been my go-to for deep insights and info on GPO problems, musical opinions etc and I search for relevant threads constantly and am consistently rewarded with a vast wealth of practical info that is already in place.

So when I visit this board as a jumping off place in my search for deeper info I think it's pleasant to have a diversion or two from such serious business.

The fact that not many of these deep questions are being asked now may indicate how deep in info this board has become. I would imagine most questions can be answered by a forum search here. If not, people would ask them.

I hope we can all lighten up and enjoy this fantastic resource the Garritan board offers - and maybe have a little fun too.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Wink Re: junk yard

I kinda see what Dan is driving at and I agree that a little light-heartedness
    is not too offensive, but this General Discussion area has lately been overused
    for "socialization." Maybe what we need is a "social room" to go with our
    "listening room" etc. In that way, ALL who want to dabble in lightheartedness
    can boom away.

I cast my vote for topics pertaining to GPO libraries to be "discussed" in the
    General Discussion area.

(hey, I'm a big kid at heart but I don't like to add volume to an already busy

"Happy" Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    this General Discussion area has lately been overused
    for "socialization." Maybe what we need is a "social room" to go with our
    "listening room" etc.
    I could go with that. Good idea.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Hi everyone,
    I was grumpy and I apologize.

In the past, it has been nice to come here for a break from working on music,
    to read something about how someone is using a Garritan product and smiling,
    or seeing someone asking for help. It seems that the general discussion page
    has nothing new to read.

I am not upset with anyone in particular... just disappointed in the seemingly
    useless activity. Of course it may be useful for someone.

is it any worse than spending time listening to someone's piece of music, then spending time and effort to critique that work, only to be entirely ignored, as though the work you took time off to critique is somehow beyond reproach and should receive comments other than effusive praise?

Junk Yard - Dan, I thought maybe you'd put together an SFZ library for Aria, similar to my "Kitchen Sink" only with samples of junk yard bits and pieces being banged on and stuff.

hey - that's not a bad idea, actually.

I understand the impetus for your post, Dan. We remember when this Forum had a much higher percentage of music related posts, and we miss that. The threads dedicated to jokes and pictures and things don't bother me per se, but I do sigh when I come here and see those constantly towards the top while music related posts seem to languish.

Looking back over this year, I was surprised there was so little discussion in the wake of the Garritan Libraries being ported into Aria. It was like those milestones almost didn't happen or something.

The up-coming and very soon to be released World Library will surely generate a lot of discussion. I hope so!

Meanwhile, I'm really glad to see a new Orchestration Challenge up and running. A new Movie Challenge is in the works and will be up pretty soon too.

Go Back to forum