• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First steps with GPO

Share/Bookmark

First steps with GPO

Greetings,

I have recently become a proud owner of GPO 4 and am delighted with its capabilities. Pity I did not have it earlier. I spent quite some time trying to curb Kontakt 4; its library does have some good instruments but I was often exasperated being unable to render just the sound I wanted. It might have been my fault after all but the fact is, the same me finds GPO much more manageable and predictable.
    GPO has helped me finish the following piece that I started while still on Kontakt, from which I have retained French Horn and Bassoon - unfortunately I could not quite find the desired timbre for the former in GPO.

http://www.box.net/shared/av3zlucti2

Cheers,
    Alex

Re: First steps with GPO

Alex,

A very delightful Waltz!
    I think your rendering sounds ...OK. I don't use GPO exclusively (just the GOS), but I think, in time, your future recordings will sound more "polished". I know there are many people on his site that can help you develop rendering skills with GPO4.

Enjoyed.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Thank you Michael for listening and encouragement.
    And yes I know I need to polish the sound more. It's just sometimes you feel like you'd rather compose a few more measures instead of tidying up the existing ones :-)

The accompaniment brass chords are voiced too low. You generally shouldn't have any thirds below Db on the bass clef. Just take those notes up an octave an it will sound much better.

Quote Originally Posted by alex2081 View Post
    Thank you Michael for listening and encouragement.
    And yes I know I need to polish the sound more. It's just sometimes you feel like you'd rather compose a few more measures instead of tidying up the existing ones :-)
    I completely understand!
    If your in the "flow" keep going and clean up later.

M

PS It took me months to get my instrument panning "just right", EQ, and Reverb...
    Never stop tweaking when you have the time.
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by jsaras View Post
    The accompaniment brass chords are voiced too low. You generally shouldn't have any thirds below Db on the bass clef. Just take those notes up an octave an it will sound much better.
    You were right, thanks for the good advice. I've just uploaded the amended version.

Alex;
    I'm in the same boat as you. I just recently got started with Jazz & Big Band. MIDI is very special and takes a bit of practice to master, as I'm just finding out myself. However, this is a delightful piece and I'm very impressed with your arrangement skills. Keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure your sound will get much more polished with time, as I'm hoping mine will.
    John B.

Hi Alex,

I only use Garritan GPO 4 at the moment for my pieces. I put them together with Finale 2010 (the notation) program.

I think Garritan is very powerful and much easier to use as you say than Kontakt, which I tried and quickly dumped.

There is nothing wrong with your composition, I love a good waltz and the movement and melodies are promising in yours - but let down by the rendering which is in a word, flat. Use the modulation setting. Use it a LOT.

The problem is that I don't feel like I'm hearing samples, it sounds like midi. Once the string section hits it loses all sense of dynamics. For the arrangement of the strings you often need to harmonize melody or be very generous with the modulation setting in garritan otherwise it will always remain flat. Be mindful of the reverb and panning, and tweak the variation dials in garritan (but no more than around 15% for those otherwise you get too much of a pitch shift).

I hope this helps you get more from Garritan. Also please read the manual if you haven't already...its really helpful.

Thank you Graham for listening and valuable comments. I did read the manual but perhaps I have not digested fully it yet...
    I actually use modulation throughout in string parts. However I only allow it to be in the range of about 35 to 50. DO you think it's way too narrow?

There's no rule to the modulation use, but based on the results I hear, I would say yes, it must be too narrow. By way of example I use the full range of everything available as required.

I have routinly used 0% to 100% modulation. Bringing strings in from the quietest possible pppp and swelling them gradulaly to ffff (if required).

Even within a piece where dynamics are not varyied much, there should still be subtle changes in timbre.

What string patches did you use?
    Are you using a standard orchestra set up of
    Violins 1
    Violins 2
    Violas
    Cellos
    ContraBass

Or something less full - a number of individual patches perhaps?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast