• Register
  • Help

Topic: SSD's for large sample sets

Share/Bookmark

SSD's for large sample sets

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about popping a solid state drive into my 1st gen Mac pro in the hope of getting much faster load times with things like Omni, Trilian, Superior2.

If I use just one SSD for all the huge sample sets is that going to give me what I want?

I've only just begun to search for info on this so feel free to add anything useful to my meantime limited knowledge base!

Cheers,

Andy.

Re: SSD's for large sample sets

Google SSD vs HDD and you will see the results. I think that for sample sets where you are just reading- SSD is the way to go- and will also last a long time (since you are not writting all the time wearing down the flash memory). Go for it!

Hi Javaj,

That's pretty much what I've found so far, that having large sample sets on SSD will be good since I won't be writing to it except to load the samples but rather just reading from it.

I'm still hoping to hear from anyone who's actually gone this route in case there's some real world issues which make it a less attractive idea.

Cheers,

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranance View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm thinking about popping a solid state drive into my 1st gen Mac pro in the hope of getting much faster load times with things like Omni, Trilian, Superior2.

If I use just one SSD for all the huge sample sets is that going to give me what I want?

I've only just begun to search for info on this so feel free to add anything useful to my meantime limited knowledge base!

Cheers,

Andy.
    Late reply of mine, as I joined the forum recently

Anyway, I did hack my high end Dell laptop to use an SSD and a HD. Reserved an SSD partition for the samples, hoping this would speed up the loading. But I was disappointed!

That is with Kontakt4, and I came to the conclusion that some extra processing was done when loading the samples (may be decompression or whatever), which clearly dominated the disk access time. Situation might be different with other samplers.

On the other hand, all pieces of software load and start much faster as expected. of course.
    Didn't investigate things any further.

For what it's worth !

You might want to run some disk benchmarks to see what it reports for the SSD performance. I think you are right about K4 though. Do you have Omni or Trillian- as that would be a good test. Also, don't forget to look at your cpu consumption when pulling samples off the SSD- I am curious if the SSD frees up any processing (which would also be a huge benefit beyond load times). Disk streaming should also be a great test as that is where I would expect the SSD to blow the doors of everything- random reads (where a spinning disk has to move the head to find all the samples- the SSD doesn't).

I had one here for a week to run Hollywood Strings on my Mac and saw no noticeable improvement over a WD Caviar Black 7200 with a 64 Level 2 cache so I sold it. I don't know if it is a PC vs Mac issue, Windows 7 vs OSX issue, or specific to my machine and no one at EW or Apple seems to know either.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I suppose in a funny way it's good to hear there are issues.

I've already decided not to bother since I realised my sample libraries take up so much space that I'd need the biggest SSD, which is too expensive to justify meantime.

Maybe later, then!

Cheers,

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranance View Post
    Hi folks,

Cheers,

Andy.
    Hi Andy,

Not a fair comparison I know but I have a Kontakt 4 multi that takes several minutes to load on a Win7 laptop using a standard laptop HDD. The same samples load in a 2-3 seconds from an SSD on my Win 7 PC. Both are new 64bit machines. I think the first load does take longer but thereafter, is a lot quicker.

Regards,

Graham

When you use the new purge feature in K4 any sample set will load in a couple of seconds-it really feels like they pulled a magic trick and the purge itsself only takes a couple of seconds too!

Go Back to forum