• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tonehammer or SonicCouture?

Share/Bookmark

Tonehammer or SonicCouture?

Is there anyone here who happens to be a sadistic enough ebony-n-ivory fanatic to own both or had the opportunity to demo both the Tonehammer Piano's (Emotional, Plucked, Bowed) and SonicCouture's "Extended Piano" libraries?

I'm planning on doing a Piano only project with all percussive sounds coming from a piano as well (Thanks TH for the thorough PM on how to properly mic and setup a piano for recording).

I'm leaning towards TH right now but the price is higher....I'm also thinking of incorporating Alicia's Keys into the mix as well. Currently I only own NI's Akoustic and Ivory 1...not a huge fan of either. I'm also interested in the e-instruments piano libraries for Live, they sounded surprisingly fantastic, even though I'd be limited to their use inside Ableton.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses, I know both companies are great. I own products from both already...I almost wish they'd merge

big~C
    Mac Pro 8-Core, Logic 9, Ableton 8, Omni, RMX, Komplete, Samples-n-Samples, Speak-n-Spell, Schroeder's Piano, Mcpherson Guitars, and a Partridge Family 8-Track

Re: Tonehammer or SonicCouture?

Well I have the Emotional Piano and the Soniccouture extended piano - both of which are fantastic. There's not a lot of comparison though. As I understand it Tonehammer's Bowed and PLucked Pianos, which will be more aimed at the same jobs as the extended piano, are still in production, so I can't really comment yet.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Well I have the Emotional Piano and the Soniccouture extended piano - both of which are fantastic. There's not a lot of comparison though. As I understand it Tonehammer's Bowed and PLucked Pianos, which will be more aimed at the same jobs as the extended piano, are still in production, so I can't really comment yet.
    Thanks for the reply, Yeah, I noticed the release date after I posted...I'll bump this thread after October 10th.

Did you find Emotional Piano to be primarily useful for just scoring/filmish or could you tweak the freqs for Pop/Rock?

Thanks,

~C
    Mac Pro 8-Core, Logic 9, Ableton 8, Omni, RMX, Komplete, Samples-n-Samples, Speak-n-Spell, Schroeder's Piano, Mcpherson Guitars, and a Partridge Family 8-Track

i've used sc's bowed piano for quite awhile, and got the extended piano as well. it's all great stuff, very playable with well thought out patches. fwiw, if you want more odd bowed instruments, cinematique instruments just released a set of bowed guitars. unfortunately the demos are all mixed with other instruments, but it's dirt cheap.

Thanks for the tip, I checked it out and it looks like great material.

I'm working on a completely Piano based album, albeit with percussion, strings, etc. all coming from a piano in some way...ie...burning piano in Omnisphere.

I'm still lacking in the piano category, even though I own Akoustic...which sounds pretty good, but I'm trying to decide between Alicia's Keys and the e-instrument Pianos for Ableton for the main piano, and between SC's Extended Piano, and TH's material for the extra piano stringed, plucked, and bowed, material. I still need some more percussives, but I received a great email from TH on how to properly setup for a piano recording session. It was actually an extremely long and well thought out response from ToneHammer. I really appreciated them taking the time to help me out.

We will see.

big~C

Go Back to forum