• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Artist Videos featuring Trilian controlled via MIDI Guitar

Share/Bookmark

New Artist Videos featuring Trilian controlled via MIDI Guitar

ARTIST VIDEOS - Just posted four brand new Artist videos we've produced featuring Larry Mitchell triggering Trilian via MIDI Guitar!

Check out the possibilities and Enjoy! :-)

http://bit.ly/9qprDL

PS. Don't miss the Behind the Scenes feature, as it explains how everything was done for this session.

Re: New Artist Videos featuring Trilian controlled via MIDI Guitar

Thanks for posting this. I bought a AX50 midi guitar converter and Trilian when it first came out for just this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    ARTIST VIDEOS - Just posted four brand new Artist videos we've produced featuring Larry Mitchell triggering Trilian via MIDI Guitar!

Check out the possibilities and Enjoy! :-)

http://bit.ly/9qprDL

PS. Don't miss the Behind the Scenes feature, as it explains how everything was done for this session.

Its very nice to see one plugin bring so many great artist together,

I have noted Trilian seems to be the plugin artist go for.

Thanks for the post

novaburst

Eric,
    I bought my GK pickup several years ago with the GI-20 interface. I have always found a slight delay which has plagued midi guitarists for years. It never mattered if I was triggering a physical module or a plugin.
    Now with my souped up Quad pc using Trilian and Omnisphere it's really opened my eyes to the amazing possibilities.
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples RME Multiface II Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Cubase 5 64 bit Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics, QL Choirs, Gypsy, SD1, SD2 Pro, QL Pianos Gold, QL RA, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, Reaktor, Memphis Horns, Ethno World II, Garritan Strings

I think tyhe key is a souped up rig. My core duo works but I lose a little creative edge because I'm running at an 8ms latency . Its not bad at all and not even the biggest problem.I've had the Axon 50 for a year now and it really requires a rethink of technique to hit the sweetspot where you can control velocity to properly trigger layers and sound realistic. I should spend an entire day on setting up the interface also.

Really happy that Spect included the Live mode for seperate string triggering.

Geez...this video was inspiring.

I'm a guitarist and composer but a really awful keyboardist so all my composing work with Trillian and Omnisphere has been either written out in Sibelius and converted to midi or me stumbling around on the keyboard a little at a time. The midi guitar solution looks like a great way to smooth out the workflow.

Problem is...seems there really isn't a good guitar/midi interface in production right now. Axon is gone and Roland has discontinued the GI 20. I guess I could buy the Roland guitar synth but that seems like ridiculous overkill for what I need.

Am I missing something? Or is the only solution buying a discontinued product on ebay? Ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

Andy B

I have an Axon AX-100 MkII and a Godin Freeway SA. The Freeway SA is ridiculous value for the money considering what the Ghost Modular parts would cost to a la carte and then the labor to have someone fit it.....plus buggering up a perfectly good guitar.

The Axon is super. It takes a while to "get to know it".

The problem is latency. I even talked briefly with Eric about this at the launch of Omnisphere. In my case it is RTAS I think...Pro Tools and VI's, not so good. I want to try VE Pro or even Reaper as a Rewired plug in with the VI's in that.

There is not the same latency using my keyboard controller, compared to the Godin/Axon.

Anyway, what I find is that I often have to record my MIDI data in with a very low buffer setting to avoid the lag. This of course makes Omnisphere and other intense VI's audio quality suffer. Clicks and pops etc. So it is best to choose a very basic, simple patch from another library and input the notes and then change the instrument back to Omnisphere or what have you. Trilian is brilliant and often is trouble free as far as glitches etc and the guitar controller is just made for it. You still have to play with a different technique though. Every note has to be picked clean and precisely and you cannot have sloppy hand movement and stuff.

As you saw from the video there is a certain authenticity playing bass using an actual MIDI guitar to drive the VI s opposed to a keyboard. I have been doing this for years first with a Yamaha G50, which is like the Roland stuff but still Blue Chip technology like the Axon. Later I got the Axon and the Ghost Modular. I also cannot play keys, a huge failing I feel.

As for East West. I love the library for what it is but there is a problem for MIDI guitar.

I don't know what you call it, mapping perhaps.......but the notes on the MIDI keyboard do not conform with the guitar. I should be able to play from E2 to D5 but when you load patches the notes are often way out of that. Like the Flamenco guitar in Gypsy goes up to an A5 and one of the guitars in Fab Four starts on E1 and goes to C2...HUH??? So you cannot play the lowest note and only have access to several....and it is supposed to be a guitar!

Lot's of stuff also where articulation keys fall within the range of the guitars low notes. So you play a passage and forget and next thing a note you play brings on an articulation. It is very annoying. Some of the articulations limit the range of the patch, the virtual keyboard. So now you shoot back up the neck after hitting this key and run out of notes up top.

It is very annoying. I wish they had just done a Round Robin approach.

The Play libraries are totally aimed at keyboards with no view to MIDI guitar.

I called them and they were very nice about it telling me to change the octave on my guitar interface etc but it does not always work. It is too odd. It seems no matter what note you transpose the guitar to play, when you hit E2 it still plays the E2 key on the virtual keyboard....it just tells the E2 key to play the transposed note. I do not know how to address this?

A7bull you could also look at the Starr Labs ZTar.

I think that this type of technology is going to be where it goes and soon the instruments in Rock Band will be way more sophisticated.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Thanks for the info, Lister...great stuff. I recently upgraded my music computer to an i7 920 and most of my latency issues dissapeared. I went from recording at 256 or even 512 samples to 64...a stunning difference. And all my ProTools VI problems went away also.

But I guess from what you're saying, the latency problems with midi guitar are coming from the midi interface? That's a drag but I'm still intrigued even with the work around you mentioned.

I wonder how accurate midi guitar is with finger picking? I can still see a lot of possibilities with playing into Sibelius and exporting the midi data.

Again thanks for all the info.
    Andy B

I have Sibelius 6 and I just have trouble inputting with the MIDI guitar. I also have trouble inputting in general.

I wish I could make some sort of break through with Sibelius but every time I try use it I just end up hating life. What I really hate is the cursor after you start inputting it stays in input mode, blue, and you go click and it inputs a note you do not want there....also sometimes the notes and rests do not add up to a bar...etc etc

I KNOW this is all me, there must be some sort of filter or some setting I need to apply.......I just don't have the time for the learning curve on it.

I should just get the Photoscore full version and scan hand written charts into Sibelius.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Go Back to forum