• Register
  • Help

Topic: Virutal Midi keyboard problem.

Share/Bookmark

Virutal Midi keyboard problem.

So im going to get a real midi keyboard soon but however right now I use just an on screen virtual keyboard that makes it so I use my laptop keys as a keyboard. Right now I dont know how to get it to work with reaper and GPO 4 aria player. If I just boot up the aria player I can go to preferences and choose the virtual midi keyboard as a midi device but when I have it running through reaper I cant seem to find that option. I got some great help earlier on this forum and basically I just want to know how to get the vmpk working and for when I do get a real midi keyboard if someone could give me some steps on how to get it set up and working properly with reaper and the aria player. Im using a mac btw. This forums been great, thanks again.

Re: Virutal Midi keyboard problem.

Any recommendations on a midi keyboard would be great also. My budget is about 1-300 dollars. I saw one on the apple website for 100 that I might look into http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN...co=MTA4MzY0MTU I was wondering if this and most midi keyboards are compatible with reaper and aria or any software and then I shoudlnt worry about compatibility? Im new to midi keyboards, so thanks for your patience.

If you need to actually play your lines I recommend Cakewalk A-series keyboards.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

I believe all MIDI keyboards are compatible with all MIDI software. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as the virtual keyboard thing goes it may be possible that you need an application to tie the vmk to the program. Something like MIDI yoke. I have no experience in vmk so take that for what it's worth.

As for MIDI keyboards - since I do not use mine for anything but input I recommend buying one without many bells and whistles. My keyboard stays in the studio. I also recommend buying an 88 key keyboard. Entering then transposing those more extreme octaves was really time consuming and counter-intuitive for me. Also be sure and get one with a mod wheel and a pitch bend wheel or device. I had to "add-on" an Oxygen 8 keyboard to my setup to get those features. However it works great (over MIDI).

I have used a Roland RD-100 forever and it works just fine. It is a simple "stage piano." I have looked into M-Audio's offerings but have not purchased one. Since they were bought by AVID they are kind of spotty (in my experience) in quality and support. I DO however use their MIDISport 2x2 Anniversary MIDI interface. It works with Windows 7 Pro 64bit, their older one (non-anniversary), which I used for years, did not.
    Many keyboards now have a built-in USB MIDI interface. My only experience with USB MIDI has been my Oxygen 8 keyboard. The USB MIDI had latency that was very bad, but its regular MIDI interface did not.

The Oxygen 8 also added eight MIDI knobs that I can use to maniuplate different controllers. THAT has come in handy. Having those on my main keyboard would be a plus. Just FYI.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    The Oxygen 8 also added eight MIDI knobs that I can use to maniuplate different controllers. THAT has come in handy.
    So you're mapping physical knobs to CCs? Hmm... any standard set of CCs that you've found particularly useful with Aria?

Hi Donny,

I'm not a Mac User, but I'm assuming Reaper's Mac layout is at least similar to the PC version.

Reaper has its own Virtual Keyboard that can be enabled from the 'View' Menu and will appear in the Docker window (bottom pane on the screen). This will enable you to use your laptop keyboard in the same way that the standalone Aria Player does. You can change MIDI channels either by using the dropbox to the right of the Virtual Keyboard or via the Up and Down keys on your laptop. Remember, however, that this Virtual Keyboard is treated as an external instrument and you'll therefore need to arm the Record button for the track you're using, just as you would when using an external controller.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by stevec View Post
    So you're mapping physical knobs to CCs? Hmm... any standard set of CCs that you've found particularly useful with Aria?
    I started with the Garritan products in Kontakt Player and used the knobs on my Oxygen 8 this way:

Knob 1 - Controller #17
    Knob 2 - Controller #19
    Knob 3 - Controller #20
    Knob 4 - Controller #21
    Knob 5 - Controller #22
    Knob 6 - Controller #23
    Knob 7 - Controller #18
    Knob 8 - Controller #16

They are mapped so that the knobs nearest to me are the ones I used most. I have used them a little bit with ARIA and they seem to work much the same as in they did in Kontakt Player - in fact I still use Kontakt Player 4 for my projectSAM Orch Brass and Symphobia as well as Virtual Drum Line.

I record (sequence) in SONAR and tweak the controller input there.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by donnynoir View Post
    Any recommendations on a midi keyboard would be great also. My budget is about 1-300 dollars. I saw one on the apple website for 100 that I might look into http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN...co=MTA4MzY0MTU I was wondering if this and most midi keyboards are compatible with reaper and aria or any software and then I shoudlnt worry about compatibility? Im new to midi keyboards, so thanks for your patience.
    Hi donnynoir,

Depending on your personal playing preferences, you may prefer a weighted or semi-weighted keyboard. I'm personally not a pianist, and I get by fine with an unweighted keyboard for the basic stuff that I play. However, the feel and response of weighted keyboards are much more organic (and closer to the feel of a real piano). Weighted costs more. Also consider how many keys you want. I use a 61 key synthesizer keyboard, which is enough for me most of the time (it has a switch to transpose the keyboard up or down octaves if I need an extended range).

I believe that those M-audio keyboards are alright. Go by user reviews (try www.harmonycentral.com, or any big online music retail store such as guitarcenter.com, musiciansfriend.com or music123.com for product reviews). BTW, I have not bought from any of those mega retailers in years, so I can't recommend which store is most reliable.

As for compatibility--if your software supports general MIDI, then in almost all cases it should support the keyboard. Both ARIA and REAPER support MIDI. MIDI was designed as a standard so that various types of musical equipment can communicate with one another.

Cheers,
    Tim
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

Go Back to forum