• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dedicated to the HMS Hood

Share/Bookmark

Dedicated to the HMS Hood

This short piece is dedicated to the HMS Hood. In WWII the HMS Hood battleship faced the German Bismarck. After doing battle for less than 3 minutes, the HMS Hood was sunk, taking more than 1400 sailors to their deaths. This piece is dedicated to the sailors who lost their lives.

http://www.hollands.com.au/R21Studio...o/HMS_Hood.mp3
    regards,

Dwane Hollands

"Always Experimenting!"

Re: Dedicated to the HMS Hood

I heard the song before reading the description, and while the battle aspect is not very clear (the song is too optimistic for that, IMO), the end is quite effective. On (second) listening after reading, I found the ending quite impressive, perhaps chilling. Certainly gives something to think about. Thanks for sharing.
    Theo

Hey Theo,

Thanks for listening and for the comments!

In regards to the optimistic sound and the ambiguous battle scene theme, I wasn't actually wanting to depict the battle scene itself, but really to place honour on the members of the HMS Hood. To reflect on them. (but that is easily lost)

I'm glad you liked the ending after the second listening. I didin't want to be macbre, but I can't stop thinking about being under the blue water looking up and seeing the surface disappearing with the darkness of the deep enveloping my vision.

That's the mental picture I get at the ending. A sombre thought.

Thanks again Theo for listening and commenting. I value your opinion.
    regards,

Dwane Hollands

"Always Experimenting!"

Hi Dwayne;
    I thought this was very effective at conveying what has to be the key concept of the piece, that these were no doubt young sailors who lost their lives, I think you nailed that! Very good!

Thanks for posting!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Hello Dwane,

I know the story of the HMS Hood and the Bismark very well, you did a great job, this piece is perfect.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Just for the craic, you might like to know that my father in law was on the Hood but due to a very bad attack of athletes foot - like rotting skin - had to be sent ashore just before she sailed on her last voyage, so he survived and still does. 90 next month.

We'e seeing him in a fortnight, I'll play it to him but he's bit deaf now
    Last edited by buckshead; 09-29-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: more info
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Hi Dwayne;
    I thought this was very effective at conveying what has to be the key concept of the piece, that these were no doubt young sailors who lost their lives, I think you nailed that! Very good!

Thanks for posting!

Best regards,
    sd cisco
    Hi SD!

Thanks for listening again! I'm glad you think it's appropriate.
    regards,

Dwane Hollands

"Always Experimenting!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Hello Dwane,

I know the story of the HMS Hood and the Bismark very well, you did a great job, this piece is perfect.
    Hi Hippie,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you like it! I would like to write many more pieces dedicated to military heroes and the sacrifices they make.
    regards,

Dwane Hollands

"Always Experimenting!"

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    Just for the craic, you might like to know that my father in law was on the Hood but due to a very bad attack of athletes foot - like rotting skin - had to be sent ashore just before she sailed on her last voyage, so he survived and still does. 90 next month.

We'e seeing him in a fortnight, I'll play it to him but he's bit deaf now
    Derek,

I'm not quite sure how to respond. I never thought this piece would ever have the honour of being played to a survivor of the HMS Hood. That's far too fanciful a dream to entertain. I would be humbled if he could hear it.

I recently read the story of the HMS Hood and the battle with the Bismarck about 3 weeks ago. Then a visiting pastor in my church used the battle as an illustration and it really spun me out. The part that really hit me was the shortness of the battle and the largeness of the casualties. What a tragic loss.
    regards,

Dwane Hollands

"Always Experimenting!"

Oh Derek,

Also if you kindly let us know how it all goes. I would love to hear any type of feedback. I understand if he's hard of hearing, that's fine. Or if he's not comfortable with remembering, or it's just not something he'd like to listen to or experience.

Even if it's just to say, he wasn't interested. I'd be nice to know either way.

Respectfully,

Dwane Hollands
    regards,

Dwane Hollands

"Always Experimenting!"

Go Back to forum