• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giovanni Gabrieli - Symphoniae Sacrae + Lost Umbrellas

Share/Bookmark

Giovanni Gabrieli - Symphoniae Sacrae + Lost Umbrellas

Hello my friends here at the Forum!

Today, I am posting 2 pieces of music that only have 1 thing in common, (besides GPO) and that is they rely heavily on the Irina Brochin soundfont. That isn't to say Garritan GPO4 isn't holding both pieces together, (as best I can), but Irina is tasked with a good portion of what is being delivered, and this includes "Lost Umbrellas", featuring my fairly new GAS Basic, my fave GPO4 Cello 2 and some distant strings, as well as Irina Brochin soundfont.
    BTW, I also bought a weighted hammer action keyboard, StudioLogic, so on this piece it is me live and in realtime on the keys! I really love the GAS Basic, it has beautiful sonority! Also, interesting the new keyboard was made in Italy.
    Lost Umbrellas

The longer piece is called "Omnes Gentes, Plaudit Manibus a 16 Voci" from the "Symphoniae Sacrae" by Giovanni Gabrieli 1557 - 1612 (Italian). The music is not only longer, but much larger as well. I am assuming this music was written in a religious context, but that is about all I can tell you. Gabrieli has become my new favorite Renaissance composer. It is curious and unusual music and seems driven by a striving for the Divine. I used the GPO4, the Irina Brochin soundfont and the VSL 16 voice Soprano Choir. Besides the Brass you might expect, I also employed the Baroque Plenum Pedal from the GPO Pipe Organs. For me, one of the most important aspects of working on this "Early Music", is that it is, just that! Within the better examples from the period, you can hear elements of the musical language we have today. This piece starts out with the Soprano doing what sounds to me like a little Pagan dervish, before being drawn in by the inevitable gravity of the Church.
    Gabrieli - Sympnoiae Sacrae a 16 Voci

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Giovanni Gabrieli - Symphoniae Sacrae + Lost Umbrellas

Very good work, sd.
    Thank you for supporting Italian industry both with your purchase and musical preferences
    Pardon my crass illiteracy: what the hell a GAS Basic is?

Edit -- I must add I'm regularly used at loosing umbrellas...
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Fine work with these, SD.

I was paticularly taken with Lost Umbrellas!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Very good work, sd.
    Thank you for supporting Italian industry both with your purchase and musical preferences
    Pardon my crass illiteracy: what the hell a GAS Basic is?

Edit -- I must add I'm regularly used at loosing umbrellas...
    Hello to you in sunny Italy my friend! It is a pleasure to support your keyboard production industry, and even more, to support the great music originating there! As I have indicated, I am amazed at the Italian Renaissance composers, at the noble qualities in the music and at times, sacred. It is Giovanni Gabrieli I am focusing in on, in terms of reproducing his music with the GPO toolset. I have worked through 5 or 6 pieces, some choral, some just in the simple 4 voice layout. Having the music in this simple format enables me to hear what is going on and to become familiar with the melodic lines. Gabrieli was very inventive and original, in my opinion. The way he really makes an effort to achieve development, the music takes you some place other than from where you started. This, plus his clever use of emotional cues which inform the listener as to why they are being taken there. He is showing his understanding of the very new fact that music was, and would continue to become, a medium of great power over the human spirit.
    GAS is an acronym for "Garritan Authorized Steinway", of which I am new proud owner. It is only human to lose ones umbrella, I have lost my share!

Thank you for listening and commenting, Fabiolcati!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Fine work with these, SD.

I was paticularly taken with Lost Umbrellas!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hello David!
    Thank you for listening and for your remarks, they are, as always, greatly appreciated!
    Lost Umbrellas is not alone, but is one of several pieces completed during what I call, "The Summer of the Cello". I should really have called it, "The Summer of Irina and the Cello". Since I have combined my new Italian-made hammer action keyboard with the GAS, I am finally able to stretch a bit on the piano and look forward to posting other examples along these lines. To think I paid $100 for the Prima Soprano virtual singer, when all the time, there was Irina, perfectly free and relatively easy to use.
    Having said all that, stripped down, Lost Umbrellas is a piano piece.

Thanks again David.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Hi SD, Love these pieces - very sombre, and I lament my fallen umbrellas...

The renderings are beautiful. I love that vocal sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Hi SD, Love these pieces - very sombre, and I lament my fallen umbrellas...

The renderings are beautiful. I love that vocal sample.
    Thank you for listening and for your remarks! It is a pleasure to present to appreciative ears!
    I think with time and experimentation, the Irina sample may yield better results.
    Thanks to Theo for scouting it out in the first place.

Lost Umbrellas is a very nice work, a bit of a "Lied" with jazzy influences, with qualities mainly in the melody. The piano part is good, the use of the cello and the voice delicate. It has a few moving parts, and the rendering is pristine. The voice sound font lends itself very well for the part (I'm glad I put you on the right track). Well done.

I also liked "Omnes gentes". The assumption that it is a religious work is well founded. Quite a lot of the music was religious in that time, and the title "Symphoniae Sacrae" is a give away, as are the titles of other parts of this opus. It might however have been composed for performance in a non-liturgical setting. The rendering is less convincing than that of Lost Umbrellas, but I recognized it is a hard thing to render. However, the music is wonderful, somewhere between deeply devoted and supremely cerebral. It's good this music is brought to attention from time to time. Thanks for doing so.
    Theo

Theo;
    Thank you very much for listening and checking these out! And sincere thanks for putting me onto Irina Brochin soundfont! So useful and yet free! I wonder how Irina feels about lending her voice to that project, now? It seems to me I read that it had commercial use restrictions. I believe she and her husband Pavel run a choir school in Germany. Anyway, it all adds up to more tools than ever and it is that sense of things which lead me to try to produce a piece like the Gabrieli. I was not in the slightest bit familiar with the music in advance of about 3 weeks ago. I had to listen to my mock-ups repeatedly in order to ferret out the leading melodic line, as it wound it's way through the piece. It is quite possible, performed live inside one of those big Cathedrals, this music would be strange, powerful and marvelous to hear; using the Science of music to create an impression of Divinity, calling out to the listener to be transported along the path to Salvation.

Thank you again for listening and commenting, it's great to know you have heard them!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Such a contrast in pieces! The Umbrellas is a very touching piece - could be very effective film score music (take that as a compliment!). Nicely spun out, and particularly apt piano part.

The Gabrieli is always a treat to hear. I don't really hear the spatial differences in this realization - perhaps it's my lousy speakers. And yes, the Brochin soundfont is quite remarkable; I've used it, and it's quite lovely, if not the most malleable sample. Love the odd chromatic harmonic movement - when those guys chose to experiment, it was really something!

Thanks for posting these. Quite a contrast, quite enjoyable.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast