• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Reaper update

Smile A Reaper update

Hi Garritaners
    Hats off to a company explaining a bug fix this way:

When the Activity Monitor window was in the 7th house of the Finder window while the room temperature was 3.7°F over the current Euro exchange rate and the user was focusing on a picture of a PC, REAPER crashed out of protest. Ok, that was probably not it but it sounds way more plausible to mere mortals than "impl IsWindow()".

Long live Reaper!
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Re: A Reaper update

Great to know you're giving Reaper a go (if you are?) ...

But don't tell me you've found bugs in it already!?

Hi Peter.
    You're right, I'm looking at it.
    Just looking, by now, since
    it seems user is called to drive
    a lunar module to land, instead of
    recording a piece of music...

You're right that REAPER is not that friendly in terms of usability. It's a nice example of the flexibility-usability trade off. Still, they could have done a better job of the user interface design to make it more intuitive for new users and less of a learning curve. This reminds me why Pro Tools still has a big following: even though it has underlying technical issues, the interface does little to hinder the creative process (when it's not crashing).

Since REAPER is powerful yet so affordable, I expect that the developers focus mostly on features, less on human interfacing.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    ... it seems user is called to drive a lunar module to land, instead of recording a piece of music...
    I'm sure all DAWs are quite daunting if your coming from classical/notation background, as I think you are, and as I have done. And that there are lots of features in each that you can ignore until you get a bit more advanced and adventurous so you have to be careful not to get too bogged down in reading all the manual before you dive into creating anything with it - it's not that hard really.

The one thing I like least about Reaper is that it is [currently at least] geared more towards audio than MIDI editing, as Kevin (I think) pointed out in another thread. However, I am personally working with that by using the MIDI editing functions only as much as is necessary, and then switching to editing (or rather "controlling") the resulting audio with its nicer audio editing facilities.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions if you want help getting up to speed with it.

Eagle calls Peter ... Eagle calls Peter ...
    Thank you for your helpful support.
    ... Ehi ... Is it smoke that I see there
    ... when you arm the track ... ?

How! Big Chief Eagle!

Me White Man, no understand Indian smoke signals ... nor speak with forked tongue ...

I bear no arms, and leave good tracks for you to follow, though now I am lost!

Glad to hear you got a bug fixed Fabio! Reaper has bugs, just like any DAW, but getting bugs fixed and having feature requests implemented so fast was one of the main reasons I started using it.. (Mind you, there are still some feature requests I've been active asking for but aren't there yet.

I don't get the comments about the UI for Reaper being so bad. Yes, the menus need to be overhauled and I'm hoping that will be changed in upcoming version 4. There are some dialog boxes, the VI containment box is a good example, that isn't pretty at all, but it is dead simple to use and lends itself to its function extremely well. It just isn't pretty yet.

Another strength about Reaper is that you can change the look of the DAW at will. There are hundreds of `skins' for Reaper that are user made and available at no cost, (though you can donate funds to some of the developers if you want to) and some of them are downright gorgeous. They are easy to install and really change the look and feel of Reaper dramatically. Personally, I have several I switch between depending on what mood I'm in and what kind of music I'm writing. Check them out here: http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Another feature is that anything, literally anything, can be changed in Reaper. Standing Waters Studios completely updated the Reaper Menu system and a whole lot of other stuff to a more user-friendly format. You can find it here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29640

One other thought for the day. Reaper provides what I believe is the best VI interface of any DAW. I *love* how you can add and remove, switch positions, etc. any number of VIs on a track. It lends itself to alternative methods of using GPO instruments. For instance, you can create a collection of Aria instances with 1st violin `sections' that you can stack in different ways on one track in Reaper. So, lets say you create an Aria instance with 1 1st Violin. Then a second with 2, a third with 3, then one with 4. You tweak each section so that it is a bit different than the others. Perhaps you use different violin types, or you slightly change the pitch, or whatever you want to do for each section. You can now `stack' these sections as you please to get entirely different sounding 1st Violin sections. Add each section to a track in Reaper. Have them all selected. Now loop a section of a song and start adding or removing sections by turning the check marks next to each section (in the VI dialog box) on and off. Each time you remove a checkmark that section no longer sounds. Return the checkmark and that section returns. The ease and flexibility of getting that `perfect ensemble' sound is amazing. Now extend this to using multiple instrument types. Then take it to other VIs you might use. Synths are a blast! Make sure to save the track as a template so you can call it up later for other projects. I've not found an easier way to build different sounding ensembles, from chamber to full orchestra, anywhere.

I'll add one more tidbit. If you have several saved track templates for different reverbs, you can load them all up and use the grid matrix to try different reverb sounds very, very quickly. The grid matrix isn't pretty, it looks like grid paper basically, but it is easy to use and again routing audio in different ways cannot be done faster.

Hope this helps,
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum