• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Contrarian Contrapuntalist

Share/Bookmark

The Contrarian Contrapuntalist

Well, I seem to have written another organ piece, somewhat unorthodox.

The Contrarian Contrapuntalist

Using GPO Organ.

Richard

Re: The Contrarian Contrapuntalist

You seem to? You make it sound as if it happened by accident...

I like the drive your pieces have. It's what gives them life. The dissonance can be a bit heavy on the ears sometimes, but the counterpoint (in particular the bass, I think) makes it interesting. However, it's the pulse, alternating between the voices, that brings your pieces to life. It's almost like a dance, bordering on swing. I liked this piece more than the previous one, perhaps because the harmony has more movement.

By the way, how many voices? I thought I heard a (high) fourth voice at one point, but it might just have been overtones.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    You seem to? You make it sound as if it happened by accident...

I like the drive your pieces have. It's what gives them life. The dissonance can be a bit heavy on the ears sometimes, but the counterpoint (in particular the bass, I think) makes it interesting. However, it's the pulse, alternating between the voices, that brings your pieces to life. It's almost like a dance, bordering on swing. I liked this piece more than the previous one, perhaps because the harmony has more movement.

By the way, how many voices? I thought I heard a (high) fourth voice at one point, but it might just have been overtones.
    Not quite an accident, although I can't remember much about the writing of it. The disonnances can be a bit jarring or strident, but they really are essential to the music as are my idiosyncrascies of rhythm/pulsing, without which the music would be boring.

At the start, each hand is playing parallel fourths.. But I treat the fourths as single tones. So adding the pedal, that could be construed as 3 voices or 5 voices, followed by a long stretch of 3 solo voices, then returning the original voicing, except that in the final 3 measures or so, the pedals are sounding 3 notes (not difficult: left foot straddling c & d; riight foot on octave of the d).

Thanks for your thoughts. I am always pleased when my music is listened to and thought about.

Richard

There is a pleasing "haunting" quality to this that I enjoy very much.
    John B.

Go Back to forum