• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Know of a good Steel-pan drums library?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Know of a good Steel-pan drums library?

Does anybody know of a sample library of steel-pan drums, like they use in Caribbean Calypso music?

This is a pitched melodic set of drums that function like a xylophone, if you are not familiar with them. Each drum has several tuned areas that produce a different pitch when struck with a mallet, and a number of drums are used to form an ensemble.

Steelpan drums at Wikipedia

A great YouTube video of a steelpan orchestra.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Re: OT: Know of a good Steel-pan drums library?

Don't know of a dedicated library. The Garritan World Instruments library will have some decent sounding steel drums. Library should be out soon.

Jim

It occurred to me that Steel Pan Drums is a Standard MIDI instrument--program #115. I've realized I've got three rather low-quality Standard MIDI libraries/players at my disposal--and not surprisingly the steel pan drums in all of them sound rotten.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams View Post
    It occurred to me that Steel Pan Drums is a Standard MIDI instrument--program #115. I've realized I've got three rather low-quality Standard MIDI libraries/players at my disposal--and not surprisingly the steel pan drums in all of them sound rotten.
    Until the Garritan World Instruments comes out, you could try the Virtual Drumline Library, from which a number of instruments are borrowed in the Garritan COMB2 library. VDL has a complete set of steel pan drums (version 2.5 only).
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Hi Guys!
    You are now able to seek authentic steelpan tones from Trinidad and Tobago Tuners @ www.indigisounds.com.

Go Back to forum