• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trouble with a MIDI keyboard - way OT

Share/Bookmark

Trouble with a MIDI keyboard - way OT

I recently got an M-Audio Keystation 61 and have it plugged into my M-Audio 2496 card on a pc running Win7 x64. I'm using a MIDI cable rather than the USB cable that came with the keyboard. If I boot the the PC without the keyboard turned on the Aria player (and probably the whole pc) doesn't know about the keyboard. In the Aria preferences display I have "Delta AP MIDI(in)" checked and "Audio Device API" set to ASIO. "Audio Device" shows "ASIO4ALL" but not "M-Audio Delta ASIO". If I reboot with the keyboard turned on, "M-Audio Delta ASIO" shows up.

Is anyone familiar with this problem, and know a way to get Windows to see the keyboard without rebooting?

I'd ask on the M-Audio forum but they haven't accepted my request to join. (Maybe this is a hint.)

Pat

Re: Trouble with a MIDI keyboard - way OT

Hi Pat.

I own two M-audio cards. The one that I still use has no MIDI (the Delta 66). It's an internal PCI card like yours. My card comes with software called the "M-Audio control panel", and some settings (ASIO, etc) can be changed in there.

Sometimes with my Delta 66, the audio will time out.
    This can usually be fixed by showing hidden icons on the Win 7 taskbar, right clicking the speaker icon, and switching your default playback and recording devices around to "set" or "reset" the device. (by this I mean clicking something random, setting it as default, then clicking on the correct option and setting it back to default)

I used to also use an M-Audio firewire Audiophile (like your card, but firewire instead of PCI). I had problems similar to what you face, and as I recall, they often required restarting my computer (restarting the sound card was not enough).

See if there is a control panel for your Audiophile card, or try the approach that I mentioned in the second paragraph. It sounds like your sound card needs a "kick" (metaphor!) to re-scan for things that are connected. It may be that the only time it gets a sufficient kick is during start up.

BTW, I would try this trial and error stuff before opening ARIA player, and then open ARIA to see what it's thinking. M-audio cards are sometimes like people---cranky and kwirky and sleepy and nonlinear.

-Tim
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

Tim,
    Thanks for your suggestion. The last 2 times I've booted my PC Aria seems to have known about the M-Audio "device" even without the keyboard turned on so I've had no way of testing your idea of doing a reset through the Windows sound control.

I didn't find the card's control panel of much use. M-Audio updated the control panel some time in the last few months, or maybe it just behaves differently under Win7 than id did under WinXP. In either case I don't see any controls of the card beyond setting sample rate and buffer size. I guess I could try disabling and reenabling the card through Window's device manager ... if the need ever arises again.

Pat

Yeah, I also never use their control panel. Anyway, I hope it runs smoothy from here on out.

-Tim
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

Go Back to forum