• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: awesome listening experience

Share/Bookmark

awesome listening experience

Hi everyone,
    Have a listen to this, then go to iTunes and download the entire album...
    incredible!!!! No it's not samples....

Jeremy Lubbock "Awakenings"

I have no affiliation with this recording, just wanted to share the "hard to believe"
    writing and playing, the recording is really great too
    Dan

Re: awesome listening experience

Ahhhhhhhh! If we only could do this WITH samples..........

Indeed awesome!

~Yudit~

That was gorgeous Dan! Thank you so much for sharing! I will definitely check out the rest of the music. Yes, Yudit, if only our samples could sound that great! Beautiful!

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Have a listen to this, then go to iTunes and download the entire album...
    incredible!!!! No it's not samples....

Jeremy Lubbock "Awakenings"

I have no affiliation with this recording, just wanted to share the "hard to believe"
    writing and playing, the recording is really great too
    Dan
    Thanks for the post, Dan. What I heard was very lovely, made for a gentle, good start of my day.

This is an orchestral recording of a live band, so it wasn't recorded with samples -is that what you meant by "it's not samples," or did you mean that when you go to get the album that you can get the full tracks, not just samples?

GPO users take note!
    - Listen to the track from "Awakenings" that Dan posted and take note of how warm and intimate the sound is.

The instruments don't sound very far away from us, the listeners, and they don't sound like they're playing in an empty symphonic hall. The results are very appealing.

I think it would be an excellent challenge to emulate that sound in our recordings. In terms of our projects - it means using smallish reverb settings, short tails, ringing highs rolled off on the reverb, and then probably most critically--not very much signal sent to the reverb plug-in. About 80% Dry to 20% Wet, in general terms.

Hope this recording inspires you to dial back those reverbs!

Randy

Just incredible strings. Maybe Gary's foreseeable string library will help
    accomplish a little of this along the way..................

Jeremy Lubbock is, probably, my favorite arranger and such a fine
    composer.

Thank you Dan for directing our attention to this great achievement
    by Jeremy and for expanding our listening education.

Great music.......

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I know exactly what Randy is saying about how close and intimate the sound is,,, and completely agree. It is evident that this CD was not a live concert recorded in a concert hall, but rather a session in a recording studio. But, recordings made with orchestras like this, in lush atmospheric concert halls with long dense reverb tails still have a place in recorded music. If only we had the London Symphony Orchestra to make a sample library from. Even if every conceivable articulation was sampled, there still would be no comparison.

In Hollywood the saying goes.... "smoke and mirrors".
    Reverb is the smoke that we put our samples through to hide the fact that nobody is breathing or making bow noises and music stand clicks etc.

The arrangement of chords that Jeremy Lubbock comes up with are just impossible to describe with words. Maybe that's why God gave us music so a person's soul can be expressed without cumbersome words distracting our emotions as we listen.

Dan

Maybe that's why God gave us music so a person's soul can be expressed without cumbersome words distracting our emotions as we listen.

Dan
    Well put, Dan. Very well put!

Gary A.

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

...The arrangement of chords that Jeremy Lubbock comes up with are just impossible to describe with words. Maybe that's why God gave us music so a person's soul can be expressed without cumbersome words distracting our emotions as we listen.

Dan
    And then, at the opposite end of opinion on this music, there's critic Stewart Mason at CD Universe who said about Lubbock's "Awakening"--:

"... non-descript melodies closer to the pleasant but lightweight elevator music of Mantovani than anything else...it simply cannot support the grand emotional claims of the overblown and somewhat pretentious liner notes...it will no doubt be huge among those folks who program the music for dental office waiting rooms and corporate telephone answering systems..."

ouch!

Randy

Cool Re: awesome listening experience

Stewart Mason... whoever he claims to be,,,
    wouldn't know music if it hit him in the...

"elevator music" ... brother
    Dan

Well, I just bought the MP3 download of Awakening from Amazon and I'm enjoying every minute of it! I don't know Stewart Mason so I will reserve comment for when I've had a couple glasses of Jameson's Irish Whiskey. THEN, ask me!!!

Gary A.

Go Back to forum