• Register
  • Help

Topic: GVI-stuck notes...G Player?

Share/Bookmark

GVI-stuck notes...G Player?

I have a couple of projects I am trying to finish up using GVI, and I am in a stuck note hell. Seems to be on legato type samples. VOTA, flutes, etc. Anybody have this problem? Is there a solution?

$150 is worth my sanity. Is it G-Player a suitable substitute for GVI? Me needs are simple: I have a lot of Giga samples, and I need them to play correctly. Not having to convert a la Kontakt is very appealing.

Using: Cubase SX 4.5.1, Duo Core with XP Pro latest patch. Using GVI as a vst.

(I've been out of the loop for a while and haven't kept up with the latest and greatest. GVI was my last purchase)

Thumbs up Re: GVI-stuck notes...G Player?

Well, I just downloaded and installed. Took all of 10 minutes, and no more stuck notes. Nice!

Re: GVI-stuck notes...G Player?

Of the bunch I probably have the most faith that G-Player will eventually produce a 100% compatible GS player.

It is not there yet, though it is getting close enough that you will get conflicting opinions<G>!

Bernard, the developer (or one of them anyway) is here, and will probably reply - I think that's a really good thing!

They have a demo, download it and give it a try. That's really the best bet.

I have the demo, I've been able to play, without translation, almost everything in my library. The glaring exceptions are Garritan Orchestral Strings, Scarbee Fingered and Slapped Basses, and Larry Seyer's Acoustic Bass. And, oddly enough, the stuff I translated from EPS/ASR and Akai S900/1000 libraries to GS works better than translating them directly to Kontakt (weird!!!!)

In addition to G-Player you might want to check out the LinuxSampler Project and SampleLord. I had more problems with both of these, but again opinions vary.

For now I am going to build a WinXP/SP2 on X86 machine with a single core CPU and see if I can resurrect (iow, re-authorize) my copy of GS3. And I am going to keep a really close eye on G-Player.

I think that my problems stem from some arcane features within GS that these particular developers decided to take advantage of. Whatever they are, G-Player has not yet implemented them, but I believe that they will. Their progress from announcement to working version was quick, they answer questions, they (seem to) take feature requests seriously... what's not to like?

And while $150 is a little painful, it's more the fact that I have to spend money to get something that used to work back, and the reason I have to do this is because someone somewhere was stupid, greedy, or both! Not exactly the fault of any of the current developers.
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Also, G-Player is 64bit, and there are ongoing updates. Sampleloard hasn't done anything in the year that I've been watching.

Thanks for the replies. G-Player is working great for me except for Larry Seyer drums. But LSD works on GVI, so I am all set.

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae View Post
    .... The glaring exceptions are Garritan Orchestral Strings...
    Bill, I'm thinking of getting G-Player (Mac) *specifically* for GOS use! Can you describe a few/any of the problems that you've had trying it?

many thanks,

b myers, composer
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Quote Originally Posted by williemyers View Post
    Bill, I'm thinking of getting G-Player (Mac) *specifically* for GOS use! Can you describe a few/any of the problems that you've had trying it?
    Short answer? They just don't sound right, they do not react to note-on and especially note-off messages with the same fluidity (is that a word?) as GS did. I've always believed that Mr. Garritan and company performed some sort of magic to get GOS to sound as lovely as it does, and to be as flexible as it is. I've tried importing into K2, K3, and K4 with the build in import facility and several different versions of Translator. None of them worked. I've tried using G-Player, LinuxSampleProject, and SampleLord - and none of them get it right either.

For a while SampleLord seemed to be closest, but G-Player did something to gain an edge, and for my money, the folks at G-Player seem to be more active in their development, at least right now.

There are demos for SampleLord and G-Player, and LinuxSapmeProject is free, so I'd advise anyone who is curios to give each a test run. And if a really recent version of any of them has conquered GOS please let me know!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae View Post
    Short answer? They just don't sound right, they do not react to note-on and especially note-off messages with the same fluidity (is that a word?) as GS did.
    Bill, thanks *VERY* much for that quick answer and info. I'm setting up the GPlayer demo now and I've still got my Giga/GOS PC. Could you post the name of a particular GOS instrument that you hear a diff. with, so that I can A/B them on my systems?
    again, many thanks,
    b myers, composer
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Go Back to forum