• Register
  • Help

Topic: Velocity Layers in Authorized Steinway

Share/Bookmark

Velocity Layers in Authorized Steinway

I have searched the Garritan product pages and have searched this forum, but cannot find the answer. Does anyone know how many velocity layers are recorded in the Authorized Steinway? and is the professional version's velocity layers different than the Basic?
    Q6600 2.8GHz Quad Core
    WinXP Pro
    4G DDR RAM
    MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MKIII
    Sonar 8.5PE

Re: Velocity Layers in Authorized Steinway

Hi

I got this answer from Garritan :
    "There are 20 velocity layers on the Authorized Steinway Basic."

20!! Really?? In just 3,5Gig file?

Anyway, to my ears the dynamic range (Basic) is not so wide compared to some other libraries.
    At least when using Fatar Sl990Xp. It has fixed "hard" velocity curve and there aren´t many options to compensate it inside garritan.

BUT, i found a solution to widen the range using Guitar Rig.
    In GR, there a component called "input volume", you can assign that to preset volume etc.
    Also, you can assign the same component to an EQ to get more bright sound when you play lounder.

I found that with those small adjustment, Garritan Steinway is the best piano (without Ilok!!!!) i know.

regards,
    Jari

I ran into an issue with the initial StudioLogic SL-990XP keyboard I purchased. It was not putting out the full velocity range. It was only putting out from about 50-114. So it was playing the lower velocities and the highest couple layers. Returned the keyboard and the replacement was better but it only went from 30-122 and that was banging at the top end to get the 122 which it wouldn't do on every key. I had them ship me just the control board and replaced that and it helped quite a bit. It can hit 127 now although it takes quite a bit of force plus is plays the lower velocities better.

Download MIDI-Ox and have it do a capture to check what velocities your keyboard is putting out. There's a good chance it's not outputting the full range.

Jim

Thank you, i tested my fatar.
    It´s almost impossible to get the highest velocities but i edited the velocity curve (outside) garritan and now the response of garritan is much more realistic. It seems that the last top layer (velocities 125-127) of garritan is very important for realism.
    BTW, this plug-in is great: Velocity CurveSM.

regards,
    Jari

I'm noticing the same problem. I use a Yamaha S90 as my controller and normally I set its velocity curve to linear and adjust the curve in the SW. When both are set to linear, it seems like the dynamic range is greatly reduced and the velocity response is not what I would expect. This is typical in piano programs and I don't necessarily consider this a problem by itself. However, when I reduce the velocity curve in Steinway, it starts to sound dark and muffled as though it were being low pass filtered. And the dynamic range doesn't seem to be adjusted to what I would expect.

I'll try one of those external velocity programs that was suggested. Do you have to run those in a DAW?

Yes, you need to run programs such as MIDIOx in your DAW. It captures the MIDI input from your controller.

Jim

Go Back to forum