• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Sing Thee To Thy Rest, written by Jeremy Lubbock featuring old GOS

Share/Bookmark

Sing Thee To Thy Rest, written by Jeremy Lubbock featuring old GOS

This was written by Jeremy Lubbock.

I dared myself to pick out this monster by ear,, since most all of what I do is done that way. I blew off the cobwebs (not really) and fired up the old Dell PC now going on 7 years old. Then I attempted to go where many have gone before, and opened Giga-Studio 3,... and the Garritan Orchestral Strings were still there waiting for some midi notes.

So, after feverishly attempting to make GOS sound like the London Symphony Orchestra, I decided after two days of pickin out this sucker, I would just slap some Altiverb on it and call it a day...

I give up... even though I did not give this piece the amount of time and detail that it richly deserves, I doubt it could ever be pulled off with ANY sample library! BUT it was fun trying...

http://www.dankury.com/music/Sing_Thee_To_Thy_Rest.mp3

The following link to iTunes shows his album called Awakening.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/awakening/id192151442

Re: Sing Thee To Thy Rest, written by Jeremy Lubbock featuring old GOS

Beautiful job and an impressive take down of the parts! I've had the distinct privilege of working with Jeremy and couldn't help but notice how similar your sample rendering sounds to Jeremy's own sample renderings of his arrangements prior to recording.

My hat's off to you for taking on this daunting challenge!

Mmm. I like it

The strings don't have that... softness of the original recording, but the expressiveness is there.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Impressive, that you can do that by ear, and all within two days, but you've shown to be more than capable of doing so in the past. Ok, it ain't no LSO, but nobody expects that. You don't have to compare your work to that. The sound you created is convincing on its own, and approximates the live recording quite closely. The sound is alive, and that's what counts.

I read the comments on the critic that called this elevator music or whatever, and I think I know what the problem is: critics have to be critical. And the more critical you are as a critic, the more respect you get. If you dare to call Bach a boring copy of Zelenka, you've made it. So this critic thought the music sounded just too good, and decided that that was enough to be nasty. 'Cause it has to sound difficult, right? Well, Jeremy Lubbock may not be Mahler (one of my favorite composers for string music), but this music surely deserves recognition. It's well written, interesting, and good sounding.

Anyway, well done. Very well done.

PS I was wondering: perhaps a little EQ against the so-called harsh frequencies and a gentle roll off for the high frequencies? Probably not; I guess you tried a lot...
    Theo

Phenomenal ear Dan and what a great orchestration. Jeremy Lubbock
    has to be the primo orchestrator of today. He is a master of the "delayed
    suspension" and so many other musical enhancements when used by a
    more than competent composer/arranger.

A really great mock-up Dan. You are da best........

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Very nice Dan.

As for the "and fired up the old Dell PC now going on 7 years old."

I still have my old computer that I had built 12 years ago. It has had more rebuilds than a Hollywood actress but I still use from time to time.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Quote Originally Posted by Maclay View Post
    Beautiful job and an impressive take down of the parts! I've had the distinct privilege of working with Jeremy and couldn't help but notice how similar your sample rendering sounds to Jeremy's own sample renderings of his arrangements prior to recording.

My hat's off to you for taking on this daunting challenge!
    How fantastic to have you here on Northern Sounds Maclay. It is really interesting to me that Jeremy does a midi mock up first. I know nothing about him except his music. Boy I am envious of you

He sure is fantastic. Is there anything you can share about him?
    I see you are a new member. Welcome to Northern Sounds too!

Thank you so much for posting, and I look forward to seeing you here even more.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    Mmm. I like it

The strings don't have that... softness of the original recording, but the expressiveness is there.

Thank you for the inspiration!
    Boy you got that right

The airy sound of the real recording is just not possible with the libraries I have.
    I even decided against going back and putting in all the portomento in the right places, but what the heck
    Thank you for posting, and I see you too are new here... I hope you come back often.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    PS I was wondering: perhaps a little EQ against the so-called harsh frequencies and a gentle roll off for the high frequencies? Probably not; I guess you tried a lot...

Good idea, but as you guessed, I have already done a significant amount of EQ'ing.
    The problem again with these samples is in the goal of minimizing the high end shrillness.
    I use a multi-band compressor that has specific frequencies dialed in, this reduces these offensive frequencies once the sound reaches a level where the shrillness is too much. (threshold), ratio, attack etc. That is much better than EQ'ing the entire sound (or even tracks separately) because we want those frequencies the rest of the time.

Another problem with shaving off high-end, is that the entire sound is then limited when in fact, if we recorded a real orchestra, we would at least have the ambient noise, that adds to the airy sound quality... breathing, etc.

Thank you very much for posting Theo.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    He is a master of the "delayed
    suspension" and so many other musical enhancements when used by a
    more than competent composer/arranger.

Jack
    Isn't that the truth!

I just love listening to his stuff especially for the first time, especially,.... because after
    I have already heard it, I know where it is going because I hear it in my head. That still doesn't take away from the emotion that I feel as my body tingles with each resolve.

Thank you Jack for always being such an uplifter.
    Dan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast