• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Buddha Meets the Moos-sician" and other works

Share/Bookmark

"Buddha Meets the Moos-sician" and other works

I promised in another forum thread that I would post my "Buddha" piece on here somewhere, but after seeing how many things there are already here, and since I have an Indaba account, I decided it would be better not to use up any of the limited space available here, so I'm putting the link to my Indaba profile in my signature box below. If anyone cannot play the pieces I have on Indaba or has any other problems, please let me know and I can email some MP3s if you have any interest in hearing them. I have written a number of other pieces not posted on Indaba as well.

I hope you enjoy them, but feel free to criticize to your heart's content. I got over that hump many years ago.
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Re: "Buddha Meets the Moos-sician" and other works

BB;
    Wow! Would I LOVE to hear your piece, but I can't find it on your page you linked to. Please help!
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by voclizr View Post
    BB;
    Wow! Would I LOVE to hear your piece, but I can't find it on your page you linked to. Please help!
    JB
    When I go to the site I see a list of my (shared) recordings in a box to the lower right side of my photo. Does that list not show up when you go to the page??? This mystifies me... But I don't know a lot about how to control things on Indaba, since I rarely go there.

If you can see the list, click on the name of the work and a box will pop up. Then click on the blue "SHARE" sign and it will play. That's how it works when I go there from a different computer and don't log in, i.e., as a visitor.

Please let me know what happens for you...

The MP3 is about 12.7 Mb in size, and some e-mail systems cannot handle an attachment that large (the music lasts for 13.5 minutes). After you let me know what happens next time you go to the profile, please send me a PM and I will try to send that MP3 to you.

[I would also appreciate any advice from all those Indaba experts out there... I really know next to nothing about how to control things on that site. It has proved very confusing for me every time I go there.]
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Hi

The signature link seems to get redirected back to the Indaba homepage - maybe it only works if you are signed in as MooseTex?

Here a link that searches for MooseTex's hompage:

http://www.indabamusic.com/search/pe...Bq%5D=moosetex

And one that should go straight to MooseTex's homepage:

http://www.indabamusic.com/search/pe...eople/moosetex

If that fails, here's one should go straight to the mp3:

http://www.indabamusic.com/asset/show/71033

It quite a long piece but starts off interestingly ... I'll have a proper listen myself later.

Peter

Thank you for your help, Peter.

I used someone else's computer and clicked the link that is in my signature box and it takes me directly to my homepage with no problem. I think I will change it, though, to one of those that you provided. I would never have thought of going through a "search" URL.

Thank you again,
    Arvid

P.S. I don't know if it will work, but I would like to post a photo of the Buddha and the Moos-sician (long story behind that guy). Please notice the "clock" around his neck -- it acts as his metronome in the music. Will have to do some experimenting with my Indaba homepage to see where the photo might go.

P.P.S. If you like that kind of music, try "David Brings the Ark into Jerusalem." It's only half as long as "Buddha" and the recording sounds better, I think.
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Arvid;

Rare Rave Review!!!
    You have been a member for 2 years, but have only 14 posts?!? You are very accomplished and an imaginative composer! The use of the orchestral voices is smooth, effective and powerful, as required. Percussion at the 5 min+ point of the 13 min+ piece was superlative!

Could you elaborate a little on how you get such a strong bass? Reverberation used?

This is a tutorial on how to wring excitement and flare from the virtual orchestra. I will revisit moosetex later today to check out more. Thank you for posting this outstanding work, you have my admiration!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

OK, Arvid. Thanks to Peter, I managed to get to your piece.
    Very impressive. I so admire your talent for arrangement and organization.
    The piece moves through so many twists and turns and seems to explore many different kinds of emotions. Thank you so much for sharing this gem. I will join sd in checking out some more of your work later.
    John B.

I am blushing now. I don't know what to say, ... really.

I only applied reverb after the recording was finished. That said, there were some instruments that had their own reverb in the samples that I couldn't do anything about except try to minimize it until the final mix. This recording is nine years old now, but I believe I may have doubled the string bass lines and some of the lower percussion to get a greater impact. I definitely boosted the lower brass in the second movement because I don't think they can really play those low notes loud enough, but that's not a technical requirement for film scores -- they can raise and boost whatever they want to in the studios, which are far more sophisticated than mine.

Thank you both, SD Cisco and voclizr (John B). I am sincerely flattered and I really am blushing, but I do greatly appreciate your most kind words.

Arvid

P.S. I did try to add an image of the Buddha and the Moos-sician that the work was originally inspired by, but the photo is TOO BIG!!! I'll have to shrink it somehow.
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Hello again BionicBub/Arvid/MooseTex

I've thoroughly enjoyed listening both to the "Buddha" and the "Ark" pieces now - I agree that the Ark piece is a more finished product, though it would be great to be able to download them and the rest of your pieces for a more leisurely and in depth listen offline. Box.net is a great (and free) tool for that and often used here, if you're up for it?

You certainly are a very accomplished "Moos-sician" yourself, and it would be good to see more activity from you here and learn more about/from you, your music and your various aliases.

Thanks for sharing your music and thoughts (particularly those in the other thread you refer to).

Peter

Thank you, Peter, thank you so much. You have been very helpful, too.

I rarely get a long enough break to be able to stay with the forums... there are long gaps between my posts due to family situations. I don't mean to drop a sob story on anyone, but I am currently the only family member taking care of my mother, who just turned 84 and is confined to a hospital bed, although she is lively and still has a very active mind, thank heavens. My younger sister just died a few weeks ago totally unexpectedly and suddenly, and that has seriously affected my mother, since neither of us could attend the funeral or anything and we had not seen her or any of her family for years...

But life goes on, and I have no intention of dropping out of it any time soon, so yes, I will try to share more and help others as I have been helped. Until around 2008, I had been disgusted with a great many of the popular music forums because of ugly and nasty people who thought nothing of ripping each other apart and generally wasting everyone's time totally off-subject. That has all changed now, especially here on NorthernSounds... my hat is off to them for cleaning things up. But the Garritan forums are special places, I feel.

I never heard of Box.net before, so I will definitely try that and will post a message here if I can get set up with it soon. I can also email you some MP3s if you like, directly from my computer to yours.

Again, thank you so much for the kind words about my music. It has never gotten me anywhere so far, but perhaps I have not been exposing myself enough... I'm not very aggressive at that sort of thing... not business-oriented at all... I just love to write and create and record music that can uplift others. If you'll notice, nearly everything I write is upbeat and some of it even contains a lot more musical humor (in my opinion) than many other people have so far recognized. I just loved putting that mighty cathedral pipe organ and bass drum ditty in the "Ark" piece... it also has non-musical connotations for those who belong to a certain fraternity that I shall not name here. Mozart was one of us, so I'm actually copying him in an extremely tiny way, but it's there and recognizable for those who know what to look for.

When I was serving in the U.S. Air Force (8 years) I was up in Alaska for a tour of duty and some friends and I went fishing at a remote creek, where I came nose-to-nose with a gigantic bullmoose who appeared to have nothing but curiosity about this stranger in his forest, blocking his way to his favorite watering hole. The encounter ended without incident, but after that, all my friends started calling me "MooseTex" (I'm a native Texan).

Now that I'm getting older, my friends have started calling me "BionicBub" because within a span of four years, I had a quadruple bypass, several angioplasties, a broken collarbone (from a wreck that killed my friend who was driving), lens implant surgery on both eyes, surgery for a Pacemaker (defibrillator) and so on and so on... Most of me is still the real thing, though.

Then there's my real name... Arvid Roy Hand Jr. I studied composition under the internationally renowned composer Newton Strandberg, who was a favorite pupil (and personal friend) to the great Nadia Boulanger at the Paris Conservatory, who taught Ravel (who didn't like her and quit) and Gershwin, and a very long list of others, including Virgil Thomson (sp?). If I am not mistaken, I believe Strandberg was at the Paris Conservatory in the same class with Aaron Copland. They did know each other. One of my mentors was also Fisher Tull, a symphonic band composer who was head of the music department at Sam Houston State University where I studied. He was also head for many years of the National College Board that designed the curricula and standards for music degrees in all colleges in the United States, and I believe he was also at one time a president of ASCAP, but I might be wrong on that. He definitely served on its board of directors for a while.

Well, I am out of time at the moment... Glad to share more later.

Best wishes,

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast