• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gone Mellow

Share/Bookmark

Gone Mellow

This is actually a remake of a song I wrote and recorded last year (2009). I kept the MIDI files and wanted to hear what it sounded like with a Steinway piano sample from JaBB3 and a better string ensemble sound courtesy of Garritan Pocket Orchestra.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=9744989

I was a bit disappointed by the outcome, mostly by my vocal track. One of these days I'll remember just how I got the flute vibrato in the first version.

If you're interested, here's the original 2009 recording with the lyrics posted.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=9023321
    JB

Re: Gone Mellow

It's very mellow indeed, except for the piano sound. I would have tried to make it much softer, and perhaps added a bit more reverb to it, or compression. The song itself is good. It wouldn't be out of place on a Pink Floyd disk: it reminds me a bit of "The Wall". I find it interesting that you keep the piano in the high register: you don't hear that often, and it works well.
    Theo

FL-Thank you.
    I know what you mean about the piano sound. I'm working on tweaking the mix and addressing that and other issues.
    JB

JB -

I really like this song!

When you are trying to pronounce words like "picturesque" near the beginning, you need to be careful with the consonants. There are two HARD consonants in that word right next to each other _piCTuresque_. Try to back off a little and soften the "c" and when you pronounce the "-Tur-" syllable, say a clear, but softer, "chur" sound.

It's interesting that FLWrd said it evoked Pink Floyd to him, but to me, it sounds more like the Moody Blues, especially if the strings were electronic instead of acoustic. Play around with it and see if you can't add a little echo (just a very little) to the upper (higher) notes in your singing voice.

That bass drum by itself is a little disconcerting. Could you possibly use one of the smaller mid-range toms in its place? Make it just a tad softer. And I wouldn't bring in the bass drum until the bass guitar also comes in.

Those are just my thoughts. I really do like the piece.

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Quote Originally Posted by bionicbub View Post
    Those are just my thoughts. I really do like the piece.

Arvid
    ....and some very good ones!

Thanks Arvid!
    JB

I just now recalled the name of the Moody Blues song that this piece reminds me of -- "Knights in White Satin." Especially your singing style...

And I also just remembered something from the deep, dark past...

All the best drummers in the stage bands I played with carried a pair of timpani mallets in their kit to use for special effects like cymbal rolls an soft tom rolls and such. Do you have any samples that use a timpani mallet on a trap tom??? That could be an intriguing substitute for the part where that bass drum is all by itself, possibly on the floor tom... and I'm probably going too far now and ask for a timpani mallet hitting on a floor tom with the left hand muffling the drum head so it doesn't reverberate too much. That would be the kind of sound I would be looking for, but again, I'm just making suggestions.

AH
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Quote Originally Posted by bionicbub View Post
    I just now recalled the name of the Moody Blues song that this piece reminds me of -- "Knights in White Satin." Especially your singing style...

And I also just remembered something from the deep, dark past...

All the best drummers in the stage bands I played with carried a pair of timpani mallets in their kit to use for special effects like cymbal rolls an soft tom rolls and such. Do you have any samples that use a timpani mallet on a trap tom??? That could be an intriguing substitute for the part where that bass drum is all by itself, possibly on the floor tom... and I'm probably going too far now and ask for a timpani mallet hitting on a floor tom with the left hand muffling the drum head so it doesn't reverberate too much. That would be the kind of sound I would be looking for, but again, I'm just making suggestions.

AH
    I must say I like this idea, but I don't know if I have the resources to make it happen, but I'll look around.
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by voclizr View Post
    I must say I like this idea, but I don't know if I have the resources to make it happen, but I'll look around.
    JB
    That precise sound is something familiar to me from live performances, and I doubt that you may find any samples of the technique unless you buy some kind of expensive percussion collection, but I did not intend to suggest that...

What I had in mind was just a light, low "thump" that resembles a bass drum kick, but without the loudness and without the harshness, something much more "dull" and unobtrusive. Its sudden appearance was disconcerting to me when I listened to the piece. The idea you had with that part is a good one, but I just thought it was too "in your face" distracting from everything else in the passage.

That's all... no money involved and you should not have to search too far. A similar effect with an African drum or some other instrument would be quite as effective, I think, and you probably have several different things to choose from in the sample sets that you already have.

Best wishes,

AH
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Arvid;
    Are you talking about the kick drum that comes in with the kit at the instrumental bridge and goes through the rest of the piece?

I was thinking the little tom tom rolls in the instrumental bridge.

I know what you mean about the kick drum. It's from EZDrummer which is mostly geared for R&R. I could also try toning it down a bit with EQ. It does have a harder sound than I'd prefer.
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by voclizr View Post
    Arvid;
    Are you talking about the kick drum that comes in with the kit at the instrumental bridge and goes through the rest of the piece?

I was thinking the little tom tom rolls in the instrumental bridge.

I know what you mean about the kick drum. It's from EZDrummer which is mostly geared for R&R. I could also try toning it down a bit with EQ. It does have a harder sound than I'd prefer.
    JB
    "The emptiness awoke me to the joys I was missing..." just a few bars before the bass guitar comes in.

Also, on listening to it a second time, that word "picturesque" stood out again, but I forgot to mention the initial "p" sound. Professional singers have a special technique for pronouncing such consonants at the beginnings of words that prevent you from sounding like you are "spitting" the sound out, and it usually distorts the sound. I am not a vocal teacher, and I'm not sure how to explain that phenomenon correctly to you. Maybe it would help if you have a foam mic cover. If you already do, and the "p" sound still comes out like that, then you need to pronounce it without compressing your lips together too hard. Just practice a few times pronouncing it by barely touching your lips together and see how much softer it is. Also, you can try curling you lips slightly inside your teeth. Some performers even do it by using a very soft "k" sound that comes from the back of the mouth (they use that for "t" sounds as well).

Just some ideas.

AH
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast