• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Dangerous" (Spoof of Jerry Lee Lewis) by Arvid Hand

Share/Bookmark

"Dangerous" (Spoof of Jerry Lee Lewis) by Arvid Hand

Here is the very first recording I ever made on my digital audio workstation at home after I got it all set up in 1999.

Dangerous
    Bit Rate: 256K; Size: 7.3 MB; Running time: 3:58

I did not know much about MIDI at that time, and many of the horns are aligned too well to sound anywhere near realistic, so I'm not under any misconceptions about how bad the recording sounds. The samples are also poor (I believe they are nearly all EMU SoundFonts.)

But it was a LOT of fun to do! I had originally envisioned using a lightning bolt as the primary sound effect in it, but the best lightning bolt I could find was copyrighted by Creative Labs in Ireland, and they wanted too much money for me to use it.

So I changed the lightning bolts to gunfire.

The instrumentation is:

Drums
    Bass
    Piano (Out of tune Honky-Tonk)
    Hammond B3 organ with Leslie speaker
    Several synths
    3 Trumpets
    4 Saxes (3 Tenor, one Bari)
    1 Trombone
    Gunfire

This is a spoof of Jerry Lee Lewis in one of his "burn the house down" shows (or, at least, "burn the piano down"). My piano technique in this genre is a little bit different from his, but anyone familiar with his music can tell that. Also, if you can overlook the weaknesses in my use of MIDI at that time, it does sound exactly like one of the bands I used to play with (a 60s revival band during the 1990s decade). Three of us who were in the band started our first band together in 1962 when Jerry Lee Lewis was really hot and the Beatles were just getting under way.

I hope you can enjoy it...

Arvid

[P.S. - Many people have listened to my Rainy Day in Montgomery and I just today found two (printed) copies of the final draft of the score in my storage building. I will be transferring that into Finale 2011 and will make .PDF copies for anyone who wants them. Can't guarantee a date, though, I am working on several other things, too.]
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Re: "Dangerous" (Spoof of Jerry Lee Lewis) by Arvid Hand

Arvid,THAT KICKS BUTT!!! Love it.

Back in the 60's I was in a band and we did Great Balls Of Fire by The Killer....back then my hands could play that fast, now days, not so much. LOL
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post

Arvid,THAT KICKS BUTT!!! Love it.

Back in the 60's I was in a band and we did Great Balls Of Fire by The Killer....back then my hands could play that fast, now days, not so much. LOL
    Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Hip ... it's a good thing I recorded when I did, 'cause I can't do it anymore, either!!! (...er ... um... uh... I mean, I can't play that fast anymore.... uh... )

Thanks, dude. You really made my day!

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Funny you should present JLL. The Movie "Great Balls of Fire" was on one of the cable channels here last night.

I see what you mean about those sounds. Amazing how much sounds and samples have improved since 1999. Still, it's a very moving and well arranged piece.
    JB

Go Back to forum