• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ethno World

Ethno World

I have recently had the opportunity to listen to 4 audio demos of this 3 CD set.

I was impressed. I would like to ask any users of Entho World to give there opinion of
    quality, playability and usefulness.

Thank you

Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.

Re: Ethno World

I\'ve had Ethno World for some time. Its an OK library, but not very \"expressive\" with instruments. I was able to build and edit the instruments into more \"playable\" instruments via crossfade/modwheel,...but its not perfect that way. The amount of velocities aren\'t what I\'ve been getting used to with newer liraries. When I first got the library I loved it, but the more I used it the more I was frustrated at how much I wanted to change it (inevitable with me...I tweak just about everything).

While I know people say there are sample \"bloat\" problems with other libraries,... I have been spoiled by the amount of variation/expression this allows and this library doesn\'t have that variation. Still there are some things I like in the library. I haven\'t tried writing a \"strictly ethnic\" song with it yet but I\'m sure I could do alot with it.

The Percusion is nice, as well are the drums. The Winds are ok...they have \"bamboo flutes\" that are ok but not really good for slow expressive work IMO. The stringed instruments are...neat...

Basically there are a bunch of cool things in the library, but ALL the instruments are limited in some way or another (generally in expression).

Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by MM (edited 06-17-2001).]

I\'ve had Ethno World for quite some time now. I think it was the first CD rom I got for Gigastudio and I have to say I rarely use any of the instruments on it except for the chickeneggs and dreamcatchers.
    It\'s got some pretty good samples but like was mentioned before, none of the flutes sound very expressive.
    Some of the percussion is nice, but I was disappointed with the tabla multisamples.
    To be honest with you, I get alot more use out of Heart of Asia for ethnic sounds then this library.
    However, the Kantele is a very cool sounding instrument on the library even though each note takes up 4 voices of polyphony.
    If you can get your demos to sound as good as the Ethno World demos, then you are indeed a bad mutha*****.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 06-18-2001).]

For extremely multi sampled percussion check out vrsound_percussion! http://www.vrsound.com/perc

Also look for Rick Chadwick\'s review on this board.

Go Back to forum